Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Outgoing email is not delivered. Rejected with 5.4.7 DNS Soft Error looking up..,

Blackberry from Vodafone Hungary was working perfectly for months. Since about Nov 17, 2010 user can receive all emails but sending to some domains is bounced with the error:

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mail Delivery System" <blackberry_internet_services@bis.eu.blackberry.com>
Date: 22 Nov 2010 13:25:08
To: <SRS0=N2FWwi=SU=mobileemail.vodafone.hu=firstname.lastname@srs.bis7.eu.blackberry.com>
Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

The following message to <xxx@domain.net> was undeliverable.
The reason for the problem:
5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'DNS Soft Error looking up domain.net (MX) while asking ns1.nameserver.net. Error was: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP'

---------end of Original Message-----------

The email "to" domain uses Google/Postini mail filtering. Therefore the domains MX records are:

domain.net       MX preference = 400, mail exchanger = domain.net.s5b2.psmtp.com
domain.net       MX preference = 100, mail exchanger = domain.net.s5a1.psmtp.com
domain.net       MX preference = 200, mail exchanger = domain.net.s5a2.psmtp.com
domain.net       MX preference = 300, mail exchanger = domain.net.s5b1.psmtp.com

DNS for the domain is working fine, and no problems to receive email from any other source except Blackberry.

Would welcome any assistance to solve this problem, especially assistance to find out the Blackberry outgoing server IPs to check that no firewall is blocking them. They don't seem to be reported in the bounce headers (or if they are I don't know how to view them).

Would these outgoing servers be the same worldwide or am I looking for European (or Hungarian) servers?

Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone IT

Re: Outgoing email is not delivered. Rejected with 5.4.7 DNS Soft Error looking up..,

Same problem.

My carrier is Vodafone Italy, since Nov 14, 2010 users can receive all emails but if they or someone else (some business partner with different data carrier) send emails to my work domain the email is not delivered.

Same error msg.

DNS for the domain is working fine, and no problems to receive email from any other source except Blackberry.

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: Outgoing email is not delivered. Rejected with 5.4.7 DNS Soft Error looking up..,

Hi gulic and pperring,

Can you both send a private message to me with your PIN number so I can further investigate.

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Hey gulic,

I have received your reply to the test email.  Did you receive a bounceback email?

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9700
My Carrier: Mobily

Dear Blackberry 

i have a problem as the BIS when trying to send to the mail server it gives me error message Outgoing email is not delivered. Rejected with 5.4.7 DNS Soft Error looking up..ms.nesma.net

so any advice about how to solve this issue note that i tried to contact my ISP but they said to me that the BIS server cannot recogize the domain we had .

please advice and try to help ..

Regards 

Amjad 

My Device: 8900
My Carrier: vodacom

I have the same issue...

Is there an update on this problem yet or who can I contact?

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone IT

no update for the moment.....

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

same problem for our company.

5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'DNS Soft Error looking up xxxxxxxxx.it (MX) while asking ns1.greynetweb.it. Error was: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP'

trying to send mail from blackberry to internal mail with Vodafone Italy.

Tried also with tim network, same result.

This issue has started 15 days ago.

My Isp don't have any log in mail server.

from outlook, web mail and iphone is all ok.

ns1.greynetweb.it 
thank you
Alessio

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Hey,

I have been having the same BIS issue on Orange UK since weekend of 14th November.  I receive emails fine to my blackberry.orange device address but when sending international emails, they appear to have been sent - with tick, but the recipient never receives.  This only seems to happen to North American / Canadian exchange contacts as if I email anyone within the UK, they receive the emails fine.  Emailing gmail, hotmail, yahoo, etc accounts work fine also.  I am not the only here with this fault as my colleagues (7 of them) and members at Orange support also experience the same.

After a few days has passed of sending an email internationally, I receive the same failure email with error as posted above: 5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'DNS Soft Error looking up (MX) while asking dns2.company.com. Error was: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP'.

I contacted support who monitors both the firewall / spam filter and exchange at a company and he confirmed that the emails I was sending were not hitting the companies network in order for it to be filtered / blocked / etc.  These were double checked against the supplied IPs by BB Article: KB11036 - http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB11036&slic...  of which none had been received by the companies server. 

It is though the email is leaving my device and then possibly being held at an international Blackberry server which holds old cache / dns data (may have had a software update around 14th Nov?) that is not allowing the emails to resolve to respective DNSs properly.  Obviously this is my own guess at one possible cause.

I have contacted Orange UK and after numerous questions and checks they have finally escalated this issue to Blackberry and I am now awaiting an update.   If I do receive more I will update this thread but please let me / us know RIM if you have a resolution for this BIS issue.

I can assure you that devices, service books, accounts, spam filters, firewalls checks have been exhausted over the past 3 weeks since this issue began and so I look forward to hearing from Blackberry.

Thanks all in advance.

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000 v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: O2

Hi, I am with O2 in UK & have had exactly the same issue for the last 2 weeks.  My emails have been taking a while to bounce back with that error message.  Sadly, getting in touch with O2 is proving fruitless as they don't appear to have the technical nouse to understand the issue.  Hopefully you escalating the problem with RIM will help us all.  Many thanks