Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Outgoing email is not delivered. Rejected with 5.4.7 DNS Soft Error looking up..,

[ Edited ]

Forte wrote:

I am not sure why no one from BB got to the bottom of this yet.

Have the receiving email server guys comment the following in their DNS blockhole list (blackhole.conf) usually found in /var/named/clocal folder on Linux machines.  This should be done on all DNS servers.  The host should then restart named or dns service.

178.0.0.0/8;

Looks like BB changed IPs of their SMTP services changed to one of the previous bogon or test networks.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam

ForteHosting.com

This solved the issue we were having too - in our case, the IP range was being blocked in our Bind configuration, in

/etc/named.conf

as an ACL. Some time ago, this was configured for security to reject DNS requests from bogon networks - ones which are reserved or unallocated by IANA, since this can mitigate many DoS attacks. However, as you said, that range was allocated in 2009.

There would be no messages in the mail log, since the Blackberry server would fail before even knowing which mail server it needs to contact. You may have messages in your DNS logs rejecting Blackberry servers, depending on how verbose your logging is.

Removing that network (and some other ones which are no longer unallocated) from the configuration and reloading Bind solved the issue immediately.

The moral of the story is that this kind of filtering needs to be kept updated, or should not be used at all!

Thanks,

-- J

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700

Re: Outgoing email is not delivered. Rejected with 5.4.7 DNS Soft Error looking up..,

Forte wrote:

Have the receiving email server guys comment the following in their DNS blockhole list (blackhole.conf) usually found in /var/named/clocal folder on Linux machines.  This should be done on all DNS servers.  The host should then restart named or dns service.

178.0.0.0/8;

Looks like BB changed IPs of their SMTP services changed to one of the previous bogon or test networks.  Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sam

ForteHosting.com

Well Forte...this did the trick for us too yesterday evening!!.  Smiley Very Happy 

I received an update from our network support who indeed updated their bogon list as you detailed and immediately the issue was resolved.   Myself and my colleagues are all now able to email from device once again.

May I kindly ask how you came of this detail? ....being that I am still yet to hear from RIM or Orange themselves and without your information we would still be having the issue today!!   I cant thank you enough.  

I would also like to extend my thanks to others here whom have experienced the same issue, taken time to post and I do hope that the same positive outcome occurs for you once the quoted fix is applied.

a very pleased icecoldmilkman!

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9000 v5.0.0.681
My Carrier: O2

Hi Forte, Icecoldmilkman et al,

Really appreciate you resolving this issue.  The techie side of it is a bit beyond me, but I have copied & pasted all your advice & sent to our server guys.  Hopefully, they will resolve this for me asap,

Thanks again, P

Can someone tell me where to write this IP in Endian Firewall Community 2.4.1 server?

In ssh is nothing usefull...

Regards,

P

New Contributor

Forte wrote:

178.0.0.0/8;

Regards,

Sam

ForteHosting.com

How can we solve this problem on Windows 2007/ MS Exchange 2010 ?

Thanks,

New Contributor

I found how to disable DNSBL, but I don't know how to edit this list.

To disable the block list and ensure that the DNS Server service does not ignore queries for names in the block list, type the following:
dnscmd /config /enableglobalqueryblocklist 0

Will it solve the problem?

Thanks,

Highlighted
New Contributor

We are getting the same error for some users sending via their Blackberries to our domain. (from Turkey / France / UK / Ireland)

The following message to <XXX@XXXXXX.com> was undeliverable.

The reason for the problem:

5.4.7 - Delivery expired (message too old) 'DNS Soft Error looking up XXXXXXX.com (MX) while asking dns provider. Error was: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP'

E-Mail routes via Postini & my BES is in the UK - WHO do I call or email at Blackberry to fix their mx records?