12-05-2010 01:02 PM
I had a similar problem. About a week ago I received notice on my desktop software that a new upgrade was available for my device, a Storm II. The upgrade was 126.96.36.1995. I installed the upgrade and that's when the fun began.
Two days later, as I tried to sync my calendar, contacts, etc., I noticed on my desktop that my address book (outlook files on my device) was not active. I tried syncing the device and was given an error message that one or more data sets was not processed.
I disconnected my device and found that a single address book entry was the only thing in my device contacts and furthermore, it was listed fifteen hundred times (I keep about 1577 names, etc., in my Outlook contact list). Further, I could not access the telephone keypad. Whenever I touched the green receiver icon, I got that one client's name and phone number. The only way I was able to successfull call anyone on my phone was by using a voice command for which I repeated the number I wanted to call, and I had to know the number because I could not access it in my contacts, because my contact list did not exist on the device.
I spent close to an hour with a Verison Blackberry specialist who finally had be "wipe" my device and then he reloaded my email information, etc. I then restored to my device using the desktop sorfware (I do regular backups of my device with the software in addition to backing up my Outlook.pst file to an external hard drive.
It looked like everything was going to work fine, but when I tried to sync my device with Outlook (to pick up some changes in appointments), the address book and phone keypad on my device was once agained trashed.
After leaving the problem behind and taking some time off, the idea came to me to find a way to load the former device software. Fortunately, the desktop software offers a way to do that. I chose the to install the previous version software and when it w as finished, restored my files. Everything is working like a champ now.
There is a serious glitch with the lastes BBS II software update, Version 188.8.131.525.
MY ADVICE IS TO NOT LOAD THE LATEST VERSION OF DEVICE SOFTWARE, BUT RATHER KEEP THE NEXT TO OLDER (OR OLDER) VERSION UNTIL SOME FIX IS MADE FOR THE NEWER SOFTWARE. IF YOU HAVE LOADED THE NEWER SOFTWARE, GET IT OFF YOUR BBS II. AND USE AN OLDER VERSION.
12-05-2010 04:36 PM
went back and downgraded the software to the version i just upgraded from as suggested above and it worked perfectly. i will try the new upgrade at some point in the future when the kinks are worked out.
thanks all for your assistance.
12-06-2010 10:48 PM
The best solution is wait until your contract is up, get a different phone (try an Android device) and throw your BB Storm in the trash! That's what I plan to do. The Storm is the worst piece of junk I have ever purchased. The "new" Desktop v184.108.40.206 is really **bleep**. It does not accurately show the last synchronizations or backups. In addition, My phone intermittently connects. Can't wait until my contract is up!
12-07-2010 09:15 PM
OK, tried the Advanced Logging test and i still cannot sync my calendar. I also checked the iloptcfg.cfg file, both before and after and other than the two changes the document advised to make, there were no changes on any of the other lines. I haven't updated my device for sometime, but I guess I'll need to roll back to an earlier version to see if it works.
12-07-2010 10:09 PM
I have discovered, at least a temporary work around that works for me, may not for everyone. I changed the sync, for Calendar only, to a one way sync from Outlook to Device, since I generally only make entries in Outlook. Hopefully, a real solution will be found soon.