Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8700c
My Carrier: Telmex

Re: PIN on a 8700c? Can't get to first base with my new but ancient Blackberry.

Hi John,

Went over to a friend with a Windows7 laptop today.

The good news:

1)  System 4.5.0 was installed over the original 4.0 and seems to work fine.

2)  I downloaded the Mac desktop.  This time it recognized the 8700 and I was able to sync my address book and telephone book.

The bad news:

1)  There is still no change with the password.  When I go into general settings, the password is still enabled, and clicking on it gives no option to disable it.  We definitely did not download any of the Enterprise software when we downloaded the 4.5 OS.  One thing I did just notice is that there is a tiny orange dot to the lower left of the E in Enabled which may by an icon for a padlock, it's too small to be sure,  and it remains orange even when I scroll down from the password, and Enabled itself turns back to black.  I think that is significant, like the password setting might be locked from elsewhere in the OS.

2)  I still can't find out how to send a text message which is the main reason why I bought this BB.  There now is a TelCel ( my Mexican carrier)  icon in my opening window.  When I click on it, it gives me certain options like to play games, do online banking, get my horoscope, but I do not see anything dealing with text messaging.  I do not have a data plan.  Actually I just have a charge your account and spend it plan.  But I had no trouble sending texts with my old Nokia and the same SIM other than I hate to type with a numeric keyboard.

Any ideas?  And thanks again for the help.

Paul

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Excellent!  However, after installing OS 4.5 you needed to finish my instructions for removing the IT policy.  The IT policy remains even after an OS update.  The only way to get rid of it is to do the reset to factory after updating to OS4.5:

Connect the BB with the USB cable and make a backup of the device using Desktop Software.  Then do the following: (be sure to read the note about the password.)

For BlackBerry Desktop Software 2.4 for Mac

1. Close the BlackBerry Desktop Software if it is open.
  2. On the computer, click on Go > Applications > Utilities > Terminal.
  3. Type cd /Applications/BlackBerry\ Desktop\ Software.app/Contents/MacOS/ and press Enter.
  4. Type ./bbdm resettofactory and press Enter.

Note: If the smartphone has a password enabled, that password must be specified within the command line. For example, type " ./bbdm -password 12345 resettofactory" (where 12345 is the BlackBerry smartphone password).

.) 

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB18998

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Hi John.  I didn't know you could talk Mac :-)  Yeah, I know it's Unix.  Here is the terminal.  Didn't eliminate the password.

Last login: Sun Feb 16 19:57:58 on console
paul1s-MacBook-Pro:~ paul1$ cd /Applications/BlackBerry\ Desktop\ Software.app/Contents/MacOS/
paul1s-MacBook-Pro:MacOS paul1$ ./bbdm resettofactory
RIM Wireless Handheld Tool
Copyright 2009 Research In Motion Limited
Device requires password (10/10 attempts remaining).
paul1s-MacBook-Pro:MacOS paul1$ ./bbdm -password 12345 resettofactory
RIM Wireless Handheld Tool
Copyright 2009 Research In Motion Limited
Provided password is incorrect (9/10 attempts remaining).
paul1s-MacBook-Pro:MacOS paul1$ 12345
-bash: 12345: command not found
paul1s-MacBook-Pro:MacOS paul1$

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Are you putting in your own password? It looks like you're putting in the 12345. Don't include the 12345. Substitute your password for the 12345. 12345 is just an example.

I don't realky talk Mac. That's just copied from the KB I linked.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Contributor

Hi John,

Wunderbar!!!  My password is now officially disabled :-)))))

Now if I could only figure out how to send SMS text, I would stop bothering you.  The opening screen reads "Telcel" under the ATT logo and the voice phone functions perfectly.  (One benefit with the BB over the old Nokia is that the quality and volume of the sound is much better).

Guru II

That's great! Congratulations!  You're now a BB expert!

As for composing sms messages you'll need to open the Messages folder.  Once in the Messages folder click the wheel to bring up the menu and you should see the different compose options.  With the IT policy gone you should now see Compose SMS as one of the options. 

Guru II

I wish resellers would do the resettofactory on these devices before they sell them.  Would make life easier for everyone. 

Contributor

Yes, the SMS Text is visible now :-)  One last question.  Is it possible to adjust the number of rings before the incoming call cuts off or is this set by the carrier?  My Nokia only rang 4 times and there was nowhere in the menu to change it.

Contributor

Regarding the resellers.  I heartily agree.  If it weren't for you, the 8700 would be in the bottom desk drawer long ago.

Guru II

While it's old, the 8700 was one of the best BlackBerry devices ever made. Compared to today's BlackBerry devices it's light on features (no wifi, no removable media card) but it does the basic stuff VERY well. I still have two up in my closet, still in their original boxes.

As for the ring time before going to voicemail this is set at the carrier level. There are some DIY instructions out there if you google "ring time before voicemail" but they are carrier dependent. Best option is to call your carrier. They can set it to whatever you want (usually up to a max of 30 seconds) very quickly. I did this years ago when I first got my T-Mobile BlackBerry. Like yours, it was set very short.