Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Vivo

PLEASE HELP! Anyone...Switching Owners on a Bold 9650

[ Edited ]

I live in Brazil and I recently got my brother's Bold 9650 from the US. I went to my service provider (vivo) and got a blackberry plan and all that. Sadly, I've been struggling for a few days because the browser, e-mail and alike dont work. 

Whenever I click on them it says "This is a Wi-Fi service. Please ensure your device has an active Wi-Fi connection and try again." The little blackberry icon that's supposed to appear on the top right corner signaling that the BIS is active doesnt appear. Whenever I put my sim card on different blackberry phone, however, it works. Logically, then, it seems obvious the impediment lies on the phone itself and not the service provider. 

Anyhow, I've tried many things and nothing has worked at all. I believe the problem is that it was configured to BES. I tried restoring back to factory settings but that didnt work, it even still kept my brothers old phone number assigned to it, showing up as: "my number 999 999 9999" whenever i call someone. I even followed the steps on the blackberry site trying to change the IT policy (which is basically resetting to factory settings) and it didnt work as well.

If someone can shed a light of knowledge on how to fix this I will deeply appreciate it!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: PLEASE HELP! Anyone...Switching Owners on a Bold 9650

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

If you properly ran the ResetToFactory and afterwards DID NOT do a wholesale restore from a backup, then the IT Policy indeed should be gone. Unless, of course, the BES system still thinks that BB belongs to it...in which case BES will try to reach out and activate it, which would also put the IT Policy back on.

That said, what I think you primary problem is has to do with your model number. According to their download site:

Vivo does not directly support the 9650. To properly function with all BB proprietary (BIS) services, your BB must receive Service Books from the carrier. But, most carrier systems don't send the SBs to BB models that they don't support...which means your BB is missing the SBs that would enable all of those things that aren't working.

So, first off, talk to Vivo and make sure they will actually allow your BB on their network...it's their network, and they have the right to say NO.

Next, be sure your BB is unlocked...see this:

Next, try these steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Wait for receipt, in the Messages app, of a "registration" message...do not proceed until this arrives

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If there are no CMIME SB's, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Wait for "Activation" messages, in your Messages, one for each email account that is already configured...if there are no email accounts already configured, then wait 1 hour before proceeding.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

If the results of steps 1 and 2 do not happen exactly as written, then your BB is not working on the Vivo network. If step 1 works but step 2 does not, then it's the Service Book problem that I mentioned to you earlier...for which there is some tedious magic that can be attempted, but it's indeed tedious and often much more preferable to just get a new device from Vivo that they will then properly service and support.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Vivo

I followed your steps but got stuck in step 2:

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service

On the KB02830, method 1:

1. BlackBerry Device Software version 4.5 - 5.0, the Email Settings icon may be located in theSetup folder.
  2. If prompted, type the username and password, and then click Log In.
  3. On the main screen, click Help.
  4. Click Send Service Books.
  5. Click OK in the confirmation window.

My phone doesnt have this "Email settings" option only Setup Wizard -> Email Setup. When i click on it theres only one option "I wasnt to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server."

Even if that option were avaialable under Email Settings, what username and passaword are these?

P.S.: I talked to Vivo and they allow the phone on their network, they just dont know why it's not working and say it's something with my phone.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Please go back to my last post. Please provide me answers to each and every thing I asked you to do. With your post now, I can only surmise that you skipped over the unlocking section.

Also, when you report on, for instance, the HRT, please tell me everything you see or don't see. I put in the above post what you should see...if that does not happen, then proceeding is pointless.

ReNanD21 wrote:

My phone doesnt have this "Email settings" option only Setup Wizard -> Email Setup. When i click on it theres only one option "I wasnt to use a work email account with a Blackberry Enterprise Server." 

That means that Vivo has not properly configured your BIS services yet, or that the Service Books aren't yet on board your BB. Note that there is more than one method for sending the SBs to your BB...given your situation, you may have to resort to having Vivo attempt to push them out.

ReNanD21 wrote:

Even if that option were avaialable under Email Settings, what username and passaword are these? 

Those will be your credentials to your BIS account. Your BIS account will store, inside of it, all of your email account credentials. To protect those, BIS itself also needs credentials. Vivo controls your BIS account and should be able to help you create those credentials. However, it's moot until we get the Service Books onto your BB (assuming that is at all possible).

ReNanD21 wrote:

P.S.: I talked to Vivo and they allow the phone on their network, they just dont know why it's not working and say it's something with my phone. 

Typically, a carrier will provide very limited support for BBs that they don't natively sell and service. Your path forward with this BB is going to forever be much more difficult, therefore, than if you were to buy a BB directly from them.

Thanks.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................