Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: blackberry curve 8330
My Carrier: ntelos

PLEASE HELP...FACEBOOK ISSUES

I have installed the facebook app on my blackberry curve 8330. I am trying to figure out how I can tag my location. I have the places option but when I click on it, it tells me that it is acquiring my location then it says that my location is temporarily not available. Can someone please help me figure out how to get this to work. The application I am using is 1.9.0.28 I have tried to upgrade to another version but when I do it says it is not available in my location. Which I live in the US and I know it is available just don't know if I am doing something wrong. Someone please help. I can check in on my laptop just won't let me check in on my phone. 

Thanks in advance 

Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300 BlackBerry® 9300smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)v5.0.0.832 (Bundle 1399, Platform 6.3.0.31)3G Bands 1,2,5,6
My Carrier: bell canada

Re: PLEASE HELP...FACEBOOK ISSUES

It seem like all the facebook apps are glitchy. First check if your GPS is enabled and working. The fb app checks your location by querying your gps. If you don't have gps on your phone try going to m.facebook.com and see if you can enter your location there. If that doesn't work try it on full version of facebook. There you have to click the enter key to press buttons and sometimes they don't work.
My Device: blackberry curve 8330
My Carrier: ntelos

Ok so when you say gps do I go under my options and click gps? if so I did that and it says location is on. I have tried going to the m.facebook.com site and it keeps telling me that it has timed out and won't let me go to the page. I have been to facebook on my laptop and I can tag my location on there and friends I am with it just won't let me do it on my phone. I have uninstalled and reinstalled it several time to see if that works but it's just not working. I have no clue what else to do. Thanks for the reply 

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Curve 9300 BlackBerry® 9300smartphone (3G, Wi-Fi)v5.0.0.832 (Bundle 1399, Platform 6.3.0.31)3G Bands 1,2,5,6
My Carrier: bell canada

Yes go to options, advanced options, GPS.
Should read as follows:
GPS Data Source: = Device GPS
Gps services: = Location on
Location Data: = Enabled

Check the maps settings in options also and turn on address recognition if it isn't already on.
If you have these settings and you still can't get facebook location tagging to work then go to blackberry maps and see if the GPS is working there. To do that click the menu button and select "Start GPS Navigation". It should then search for satellites and if it finds any it will say how many. If it can't find any the go outside and try it, GPS signals cannot penetrate a lot of buildings especially ones with metal roofs.
If that doesn't work then click the menu and select options. Should say:
GPS source: Internal GPS
Address recognition: on

Now with GPs navigation turned on and working try switching apps to facebook and see if. You can tag your location. Try it also at the facebook mobile site as the facebook app for blackberry is pretty glitchy and has a lot of bugs. The reason you can't upgrade your facebook app is probably because your phone is an older model. I am using a 9300 so your options may be somewhat different. Hope this helps.
Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 8520
My Carrier: Vodafone

Sorry, but the 8330 does not have GPS capability built-in.