Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

PLEASE HELP - deleted sms

Hi,

I desperately need help, or a phone number to bb so they can help me! My bb smartphone 8110 keeps deleting my sms messages on it's own. It's really annoying, and I've checked the validity period - it's on max, so I cannot find any reason for why it keeps deleting everything. Please help, as I have lost some messages that I wanted to keep. It's the second time this week it's deleted my messages!!!

Eva

Forums Advisor III
My Device: AT&T BOLD OS 4.6.0.167

Re: PLEASE HELP - deleted sms

It's ok. Relax. This is normal when you are low on memory. Click on your option icon select status and post your file free and file total numbers. Then we will go from there.
~Lorrie~ Master of All Things Blackberry!
New Contributor

it says i have no "file free", and there are some things i could delete, but i don't know how lol! thank you so much for the quick response, it's driving me crazy.

Eva

Highlighted
Forums Advisor III

What do you want to delete? If it is an application go to options and then advanced options then applications. Find what you want to delete and hit the menu button and select delete. If you want to delete more than one thing and the phone prompts you to restart select no. Delete all you want to delete. Then do a battery pull. Just make sure you know what you are deleting. Another thing you can do is move any pictures, ringtone, or music to a memory card. Delete and texts, emails or call logs that you don't need. If a text is important save it. Try all this and let me know how the file free comes out. Thanks.

I have a similar problem with my Pearl and it has started to happen ever since I received a replacement phone after my original was damaged.  I looked at your post and checked my status as you suggested, it said that I have 50462720 bytes free.  Bad?  Not great?  Please help.
Forums Advisor III

Are you sure that was your file "free" and not your file "total'? If that is free space than it is not your memory causing your issues. Your replacement phone was probably refurbished and may have had existing problems. Double check your numbers and please let me know. Thanks.
New Contributor

Refer to thread "Call Log Deleted" posted today at 5:58pm. I was having the same issue as you are describing--and the recommended fix for that thread helped to clear the problem quickly and efficiantley. Good Luck!

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Evalind!

See what your file free and file total numbers are. (options-status)

If you don't have at least 20nb free, try this:

You have low free memory left on your device.

Do you have a lot of third party applications on your BB weather, icall,bbalerts etc?

I do not know your experience level, so if you know this I'm sorry but please read and let me

know if this applies.

Most people close the applications by pressing the escape or red key. This does not close the applications.

Each application has a CLOSE option. For instance if you are in the calendar hit the menu key (spotted key) and scroll down to the bottom CLOSE is listed. Go through each application and press close. Go into the browser press menu and options select cache operations clear all categories and hit escape it will say cleaning memory. If you have the following options use it.:

Go to options - security - memory cleaning - enable it. The BB will now clean memory when idle for 5 minutes.

you will have an icon on you screen for memory cleaning make sure you press it. Make sure you use the CLOSE button each time you are done with an application.

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8300&message.id=9225#M9225

If you follow these steps listed in the link and keep up with your memory your phone will operate smoothly.

After the steps are complete,

Pull the battery while the device is ON, replace after a minute,

Let the device reboot 1-3 min, see if the problem is fixed

Please let me know!

If you need more information, please ask!

If not, please resolve the post using the options by the kudos’ star.

Just check the post that had your answer!

Thanks  

Message Edited by Bifocals on 10-16-2008 05:46 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Cekrib,

Please open a different thread your case may be diffrerent.

Just make sure you put all infomation in it, and we will help yoy

there.

Thanks

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

If you don't already have a memory chip, then thats the reason.

Blackberrys cant hold alot of memory so when it gets too full it will start deleting text, email, anything that it thinks is unncessary.

If you DO have a memory chip then I dont know whats wrong.

You could try and take it to the alltel store.