Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

PLEASE HELP with microsoft exchange mail delay on my blackberry

[ Edited ]

Ok, if someone solves my problem, I will literally mail you $20. Won't make you rich, but PLEASEEEE. 

So anyways. Heres the problem.... My work gave me a blackberry Bold, which is about 2-3 models outdated. This phone was on a Blackberry enterprise server. I had my microsoft exchange hooked up to it. Anyways, I couldn't do anything on the phone. Everything was blocked (except SMS, BBM, e-mail, Phone). I couldn't even check the weather, use my maps, or go on google. I had another phone but I didn't want to carry 2 phones around all day it would drive me insane, so I cancelled it. Anyways I ended up buying the new Bold 9900, threw the SIM card in there, set up my exchange/outlook e-mail address, although I did not set up my new phone on a Blackberry Enterprise Server because I can't stand having everything locked. Im so happy with my new phone, but when I was on the Blackberry Enterprise Server I got e-mails within seconds. I am not on it right now, and it takes anywhere from 1 minute - 30 minutes to get an e-mail (usually 10-15) and I literally need to see them RIGHT AWAY. Its critical for what I do. Is there anyway, I can set up my e-mail, so the e-mails come right away without being on a blackberry enterprise server? PLEASE HELPPP 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: PLEASE HELP with microsoft exchange mail delay on my blackberry

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

With BIS, the delay period varies. Typically, the BIS servers check not more than every 15 minutes, and decrease that interval greatly once something new is found and pushed to the BB. As no more new things are found, BIS gradually increases the interval, until it again reaches 15 minutes, which is the maximum interval. (There used to be a KB with this, but I haven't been able to find it in a while.)

Sadly, that is the way BIS works. Some email systems can push via BIS...I can't recall which can and which can't, but perhaps iMAP services can push. In any event, with your current configuration of OWA, the documented intervals cannot be adjusted as they are a component of BIS itself and not a user accessible configuration item.

So, I guess I don't get that $20...bummer...

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Bell

That's terrible. If BB has such a big competition such as apple, why don't they improve their BIS. When I had an iphone with exchange hooked up, emails pushed immediately. I did not have to put my phone on some special server, although I don't even think they have a special server, but still. BIS should be a lot faster. Not impressed. 

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

iFruit devices and BBs are 100% completely different when it comes to email (many other things as well, but we'll stick to this).

iFruit devices use an on-device client for email, and that client handles all activity, including generating traffic over the carrier data network for the mere act of checking for anything new, even if there is nothing new to deliver to the iFruit device. Yes, some email services can be PUSH, but not all, even for iFruit.

BBs instead use BIS, which is a service, hosted at the carriers/RIM that functions as an intermediary between BBs and their email services. BIS checks the email services for new stuff, and only generates traffic to the BB when there actually is something to do with the BB.

The different manifests with folks on limited data plans...iFruit will use more data simply because it must generate traffic to the device even if there's nothing to do. BB's only generate traffic to the device when there is something to do.

But, it's moot anyway. If you check the evolution of BIS, you'll find that it indeed has been improving greatly in the last few years. It's not attained yet the full ActiveSync level of functionality, but it's coming much much closer than it's been in the past, including allowing (with limited email providers) OTA calendar and contact synchronization. So, I'd challenge your "why don't they improve" statement...they have, and they continue to do so. But they will not just jump into replicating what other platforms do...after all, the hallmark of BBs is security, and that must remain the paramount concern as the develop into the future (otherwise, they'd have absolutely no competitive edge!).

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................