Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

PTT range

This is probably a dumb question but I can't seem to find the answer anywhere. 

What is the radio range of the Blackberry to Blackberry walkie talkie (PTT) function?  I'm not really even sure what the PTT is, but if it's like a walkie talkie, I need to know how far apart the phones can be and still make calls to each other. The phones are 8820's and 8830's

Thanks very much for any info 

Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: PTT range

My understanding of the Push to Talk feature is that it still uses cellular communication methods, the difference being that they transmit in burst mode - you only have a connection while you are talking, rather than keeping the line open like a regular phone.  Essentially, the range would be your telecom carrier coverage area.  Not all models and carriers support the feature, so make sure you get the right ones.
posted by DigitalFrog
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks.  So, if I understand what you said, it isn't really a walkie talkie at all, then?  If the cell tower was down, the PTT as well as the regular phone service would be down?
Super Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Yes.  I haven't used them myself, but had a friend that used them within his company and that was how it was explained.  I would verify with the carrier that exact question though (and get it in writing if they say yes!)
posted by DigitalFrog
My Device: 8520, 9700

PTT, as mentioned, works via the network.

For PTT to work though each carrier has a PTT Server in Place and your account would need to be provisioned for the service as an added service. It is then generally charged at a Cost per number of pushes, each carrier is different as to there Billing model.

Nokia and Motorola have a PTT Server Solution. The server facilitates many functions with regards to grouping,and is also generally global across all customers. Eg. The number of people per Group can be set to say 20/30/ what ever the server is taylored for.