Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Palm desktop vs BlackBerry Desktop

I am trying to understand BlackBerry's desktop software. As far as I can see it has no UI it is simply a backup of the data entered on the BlackBerry device? All data is entered on the handheld device not the desktop softwar.

Palm's desktop UI has a fully visible calendar and other tools. I can enter data on the desktop or the handheld which syncs to the phone and vica-a-versa.

Is my understanding of the BlackBerry desktop software correct? -MikeT

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Palm desktop vs BlackBerry Desktop

[ Edited ]

Hi,

The BB Desktop Software is designed to sync data between the PC and BB. It's function is backup and restore, synchronization, application loading, transfer info between BB and a Palm for instance, and if you have the option

a Media manager. You can input data to calendar, addressbook, texts, and memos at the PC and synch the two devices.

So there is a similarity. Give me a minute and I will give you the supported PC programs for the Desktop Software.

Below is the link of supported programs:

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB12268&sliceId=SAL_Pub...

Please let us know if you have any other questions.

Thanks

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-26-2008 05:03 PM
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Regular Contributor

Ah, so I would use Act or Outlook on my desktop just as I now use Palm's propriatary desktop software. Then the BB software handles the since between desk top and BB. Are my assumptions correct? -MikeT
Guru I

Spot on! It's just my opinion but I would choose Outlook. Many many users here use it, it's windows compatible, and you would get the most support on it.

Just my opinion

Do you run Windows?

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Regular Contributor

Yes, Windows xp on all three machines. Very helpful I appretiate very much your time. -MikeT
Highlighted
Guru I

Thanks,

Please take a minute and resolve the post with the options on the right.