Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Password Enable/Disable Option Locked

i have a cst with a blackberry pearl that cannot unlock the enable/disable password setting. there is a red lock icon next to the option.  is this an IT setup issue?  is the option "locked" through BES? wipe handheld has been performed on device...password feature still locked after reset.  any way to unlock this?
Forums Advisor II
My Device: T-Mobile 8100

Re: Password Enable/Disable Option Locked

Yes, the IT policy can prevent you from turning off the password requirement. It is possible to remove an IT policy, but if your connected to a BES server then don't waste your time. As soon as your connect to the BES server again the policy will be reapplied.
Super Contributor
My Device: BB 8530/ 5.0.0.734 OS
My Carrier: Verizon

As annoying as it is, it's a good security measure. If you lost your phone, your company would be angry to find that someone has read confidential emails. If you have to, you can change the security time out to up to an hour.
~Tami~
Intellectuals solve problems; geniuses prevent them.
-- Albert Einstein
ale
New Contributor

Hi, d fisher

Apparently you know how to disable the option of locking the phone when it has a red lock next to it and says Enabled.

I live in Europe, so it might be different, but I hope that with your help I can solve my problem. I bought my BlackBerry Pearl 8100 in a company named Movistar, and its for my personal use, so there's no company blocking my phone. As soon as I got my phone, I enabled the Password option, but now I can't disable it. I tried to follow the steps that you said, but I still don't know. It might be because I'm new with my phone, but if you could help me I would be very thankful!

Thank you, Alex 

ale
New Contributor

Hi everyone!

OK! after searching for this, I finally found how to disable the option!

Originally Posted by John Galt 
It's a bit tricky. If you have the Media Card options of the Advanced Settings has Encryption Mode set to Security Password, then you not be able to disable the general password.

So, to disable the password:
Options --> Advanced Options --> Media Card --> Encryption Mode = 'None'

Then go back t:
Options --> Security Options --> General Settings --> Enable/Disable should appear.

P.S. d fisher: Thanks anyways!

Smiley Happy

I recently purchased my 8100 used.  The password was enabled, the red lock was displayed, and I was unable to disable the password setting.  Unfortunately, the Encryption Mode setting on my device is already set to 'None' so this answer didn't help.

Further review indicated that the phone had IT Policies set via a BES connection.  This link helped me resolve the problem.  Please be very careful.

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/Remove_IT_Policy

MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR PHONE BEFORE YOU FOLLOW THIS LINK. 

Thanks for finding this previous post.  This was exaclty the problem.
My Device: Blackberry Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

Thanks very much for your clear and concise direction on resolving this issue.  I tend to shy away from using answers provided by forums, however, this was top notch.

Anyone having this issue should use this post to fix it fast!

My Device: 8330
My Carrier: verizon

all i have to say is thank u thank u thank u. this worked on my 8330

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

To all...

Thanks for the kind words.

I am the one that wrote that FAQ.  I hope that everyone is using "Method 1" as "Method 2" is only for older devices and still leaves a "blank" IT policy on it.  The older devices had no method for actually removing the policy...only replacing the policy with a blank one. 

Enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!