Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Password expires in ?? days

Hi Gurus

I've recently aquired a Bold 9700 and have setup a device password but now I am regularly being told that my password expires in so many days. I've tried to find where to change this setting but to no avail.

Can somebody tell me where i should be looking?

Thanks

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Password expires in ?? days

Hello,

Do you want to find out where to change the password itself? Or where to change the password expiration (days) setting?

For the password itself, refer:

• Article ID: KB00588 Password security for the BlackBerry smartphone

However, for the expiration setting, that is something completely different, and not actually controllable by the end user. So, first question...are you part of a BES environment? If so, then check with your BES admins as they control this.

If you are not part of BES, then check this please:

• Article ID: KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If there is an IT Policy, and you are not part of BES, then whoever you obtained the device from did not properly cleanse it first. Refer:

• Article ID: KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

If all of the other seller-required steps have been completed, then you can remove the IT Policy via this procedure:

• Article ID: KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

If, as part of this, you choose to do any backup/restore, then do not do a full restore to your device of what you backed up prior to the ResetToFactory. Rather, do only a selective restore, and specifically avoid restoring any databases that have to do with IT Policy, Enterprise, or anything else of that nature. If you restore those, it will dutifully restore the IT Policy back to your device, and you will be right back where you started.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Thanks for your help with this.

Before i go ahead with any of your suggestions I thought it wise to back up my device so i can restore info afterwards but for some reason my address book was not backed up. I have looked on the device to see if i can copy my contacts to the sim card but can't see how to do this or any option for copying?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You have not responded as to if you are on BES or not. The answers to your question now depend on your answer to that question.

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Contributor

Sorry, as far as I know I am not on BES

Hall of Famer III

OK...then please go back to post 2 above, and move to the next question I asked there. It's kind of a waste of your time for me to re-ask the same questions I already asked you above...

Contributor

Ok, under "security staus information" I can see under "services" my email adress followed in brackets by (BISEO...

and under "security information ":  secure GC Enabled Does this therefore mean there is no ITpolicy?

Hall of Famer III

[ Edited ]

Given how the wording of the relevant KB is, I'd say that yes your device does have an IT Policy. Which means that you are either on BES, or your device once was, but was never properly cleansed before you took control of it. You need to be 100% certain that you are not on BES before you proceed to the cleansing you can do. If you are on BES and you conduct the cleansing, then you could totally screw your device functionality up...and your BES admins might get upset with you...and I'm pretty sure you won't want to do either of those.

If you are 100% sure that you are not on BES, then you can proceed with what is already documented above.

As for backup/restore, your address book will not backup if it is somehow being reconciled wirelessly. If you are on BES, that would be the reason (your BES server controls all OTA functions). If you are not on BES, then you must have activated one of the compatible public email services for your address book OTA reconciliation. Or, it might be a remnant of that incomplete cleansing of your device before you took control of it.

Worst case, you will lose your address book completely. Inside of the address book options, there are settings for turning on/of wireless sync. If you can turn that off, then do the backup again and see if the address book now succeeds. If you cannot turn off that setting, then it is being controlled by the IT Policy, and you cannot now get a backup, which means you'll lose it.

Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news...but this happens all too frequently. Someone sells someone a device that they misrepresent as being "clean" and ready for full use...when in reality they have not done their part, leaving the recipient with all of the pain.

Good luck and let us know!

Contributor

Before I carry out any of the KB options can i copy my address book to my sim card ans copy it back once i have cleansed the phone? I can't see any options for this on the BB menus

Hall of Famer III

No. The SIM is, IMHO, a useless address book. The device address book allows one name to have multiple phone numbers (and a lot of other things). The SIM phone book is simple...one name to one phone number, with no further details. Because it is so useless, there are also no tools to do it easily...it's one by one, not copy all to SIM (from SIM is batched, but to the SIM is 1 by 1, but still with IMHO useless content).