Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9300
My Carrier: Orange Espanya

Password help 9300

[ Edited ]

I moved to Spain 3 months ago, and when I returned to the UK a few weeks ago, got my Blackberry unlocked, and bought an Orange SIM, with contract. All was fine till yesterday, when I went to update my Blackberry online. For the first time ever, I was asked for a password. Now I've had the phone over 2 years, so if I had a password, I've long since forgotten it! I tried putting my Virgin SIM back in it, so I could at least back it up before I lose all my applications etc, but the phone still wants my Blackberry password! Anyone got any suggestions so I can avoid the inevitable? I've rung Orange customer services, but they say the problem is my Blackberry password! I'm on my last attempt at pasword. I've tried everything I can think I might have used!

I've just noticed a technical help question from a couple of years ago that would seem to indicate that I will lose all my data! Will this incluide my backup, or will I at least have that when I reload my blackberry? How can I prevent this happening?

My Device: RIM Blackberry 9360 Purple
My Carrier: o2

Re: Password help 9300

I have had the same problem too. I put my friends SIM into mine and since I put my SIM back in, it asked for my password, I rang my provider o2 and they said to come on this site, ask to reset the password but its not working
New Contributor

Have you lost all your data? Did you try the password 10 times, like it asks? Even with my origibnal SIM, I still got asked for the password!

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

redmum89 wrote:

Have you lost all your data? Did you try the password 10 times, like it asks? Even with my origibnal SIM, I still got asked for the password!

Hi there ,

Sorry for the late response !

To clear your confusion , Device password and BlackBerry ID password are two different things . If we enter too many wrong device password ( 10 By Default ) then it will initiate a wipe process deleting all data , But it is not same for BlackBerry ID . If we enter too many wrong password for our BlackBerry ID ( 10 wrong Attempts ) then it will lock us out for 15 min. as so on for security purpose . In that situation you have to reset your BlackBerry ID password to resolve this problem .

KB24157  : BlackBerry ID lockout behavior.

So you have to confirm if you're prompted to enter your Device password or the BlackBerry ID with password .

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

I am now totally confused! My device password has been working fine - it gives me 3 attempts. So I think  It is definatly the Blackberry password, and there is a warning message that after 1 more attempt my data will be deleted. Yet you say this is not so? I really don't want to a) have to reset up my Blackberry and b) lose my photo's that I haven't downloded yet, or my games. Please clarify for me! It asks me for the word blackberry, then for my password. At first I typed the dwevice password, but this didn't work. I used both the one I set up, the original one Orange Spain gave me,  both of which are numeric, and the password I use for my device.

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

redmum89 wrote:

Please clarify for me! It asks me for the word blackberry, then for my password. At first I typed the dwevice password, but this didn't work. I used both the one I set up, the original one Orange Spain gave me,  both of which are numeric, and the password I use for my device.

Then it not asking for your BlackBerry ID password but Device Password that you have set on your device ! You have to enter the correct password . I think you might have a mixture of different characters in your password,and you are not able to properly enter those on the BlackBerry  keyboard. For example , if your password is

• red89
  • And you enter r > e > d  > alt > 8 > 9
  •  the actual result will be
  • red8c
  • You must enter
  • r > e > d > alt > 8 > alt > 9

to get red89  on your device. So, while on the BlackBerry  keyboard you think you are typing red89, you are actually typing red8c

Or , Connect you device and run Desktop Software > Click on application > it will prompt you to enter the device password , If it is related to Device password . you can enter your password on your PC keyboard. If it works then first thing to do is a full backup.

redmum89 wrote:

and there is a warning message that after 1 more attempt my data will be deleted. Yet you say this is not so? I really don't want to a) have to reset up my Blackberry and b) lose my photo's that I haven't downloded yet, or my games.

You won't loose your games , you can re- download them again from BlackBerry App World if you use the same BlackBerry ID as before . Also where your images are stored in device memory or in Media Card ? you can remove your media card which will save your files that are stored in it .

Are you using BlackBerry Protect for backup purpose or if you did a backup using Desktop software previously . If you have then you can restore your data from those backups.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

I have typed the device password in, but it is rejected. Yes, I know to use the alt key.for numbers. I even tried putting a capital in! Having said that, if I take my media card out, then at least I won't lose my photos. As for games, I'll just have to download whatever I can of the free Blackberry ones! I'm assuming I can reconfigure my emails? This is one thing I've really missed in these days when I can't use my Blackberry! At home it's fine, but on our farm, there is no wi-fi, or even electricity, or water, so my blackberry is my lifeline to connect with the outside world! Thanks for the advice. I don't remember specifically setting a devive password at any time until I came to Spain! I have a very poor long term memory, as I suffer from hydrocephalus, so I tend to keep passwords to a minimum!

New Contributor

One more thing that has puzzled me, yesterday I set up a new Blackberry ID, using the email address I use now I'm no longer a blueyonder customer. It let me! And I set up a new password, yet that password is not recognised!

New Contributor

It is currently wiping my data! I hope I can reset the thing!
New Contributor

I am currently in the process of reconfiguring my blackberry. I'm uploading from my last saved backup.