Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Password request

Hi everyone, I'm newish to this, but I am extremely annoyed with my phone and desktop manager. I had put on the keypad lock on with a 4 digit code, since the 8900 curve kept making phone calls to people in my pocket. I have recently got another new macbook pro and downloaded the latest device manager so that I could do an overdue update/backup. When I connected the phone to the computer, it asked for my password. Confused, since the only code I have ever used was the 4 digit number, so typed that in, lost 2 attempts, so disconnected phone from computer. Now phone wanted password, put in number, still losing tries. Have researched on internet, to see that I need to go into the phone settings, yet it needs the password before I can do that. Tried all sugestions of 1234, etc, now I have lost everything.

People are saying that if you have key lock on, without a password for device manager, but just for keypad lock, you have to turn this off before reattaching to device manager......basically, is this true ?

I hope not..since I will probably have to 'throw my toys out the pram' at blackberry, I have lost a great deal of contacts, and I also have to spend a few hours putting everything that I can remember, back on......sorry for an essay out of me !!!!! : )

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Password request

If you had a four digit password, it is common that users might only depress the ALT key for the number on the first digit, so if the password were "1234", you might try the alternative "1ers".

But, cypher that to what your numeric password's alpha alternative might be.

Does this make sense?

And if you read somewhere about default passwords like 1234, that's a crock, there's no such thing.

The password is what you set it to be, there is no reset or default, otherwise the security on these devices would be a joke.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code