Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Originally Alltell now PagePlus

Password

Just got a Blackberry 9670 Style originally on Alltel, now on Pageplus.  Initial setup is asking for a password but I don't want to have to reput in the password everytime I open the phone.  How do I pass the initial screen asking for a password?  If I do need to input a password how do I uncheck the box needing to continue to enter the password,  mine is greyed out?

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Password

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Refer:

• KB05099 Steps to take before selling or after buying a previously owned BlackBerry smartphone

From what you describe, the required SELLER steps were not completed before this device was transferred to you. Had they been done, then no device-lock password would exist. There is no way to bypass that password either...it is user created and there is no "override" or "master" password with which to bypass it.

If you enter it wrongly the maximum number of times (often 10, but can be different depending on how the user who created the password configured it), then it will perform a device WIPE (which will remove the device-lock password)...which is actually one of the steps you should conduct as per the above KB. But, even if that succeeds, you may have further problems given that the seller seems to not have completed their required steps.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Style 9670
My Carrier: Originally Alltell now PagePlus

Thank you, I do believe the seller did do a master reset since the phone did ask for a password on initial setup.  What I'm looking to do is to disable the phone requiring the password.  I have gone into the password section under security but the box to uncheck is greyed out with the picture of a padlock next to the box.  I'm thinking that somehow the software is for some reason locked to require this feature.  I was hoping that there might be some way to do a complete wipe of the phone back to original blackberry setting even those prior to the ones setup by the original carrier.    I have done the security wipe a few times, and the initial setup does require a password and then once again I'm unable to uncheck the enable box in the password section. 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

[ Edited ]

shackmaterchris wrote:

Thank you, I do believe the seller did do a master reset since the phone did ask for a password on initial setup.  

Actually, that would indicate that they DID NOT do any of what the KB requires for sellers to do. Had they done so, there would have been no password request to you.

shackmaterchris wrote:

What I'm looking to do is to disable the phone requiring the password.  I have gone into the password section under security but the box to uncheck is greyed out with the picture of a padlock next to the box.  I'm thinking that somehow the software is for some reason locked to require this feature.  I was hoping that there might be some way to do a complete wipe of the phone back to original blackberry setting even those prior to the ones setup by the original carrier.    I have done the security wipe a few times, and the initial setup does require a password and then once again I'm unable to uncheck the enable box in the password section. 

Oh...so you can get into the device, so you do know the password...sorry, I did not before quite understand that fact.

OK...given all of that, what I suspect is one of two things:

1. Content Protection/Encryption is active on the device -- if so, it requires a device lock password to be in place
    • KB15244 What is Content Protection and Encryption on BlackBerry smartphone
  2. The device was previously activated on BES, and it was not properly cleansed of the IT Policy, and that IT Policy has within it an enforcement of a device lock password
    • KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

I actually discount my first guess since you say you've done a wipe...that should have removed the Content Protection/Encryption setting. Which leaves a latent IT Policy...and if so, then that further means that the seller did not do all that they should have done in order to deliver you a "clean" device.

But you can cure it yourself via this procedure:

• KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

If, afterwards, you do a restore, do not do a full restore...rather, only a selective restore of only those databases you require (e.g., contacts, calendar, etc.) and specifically avoiding any that have to do with Enterprise or IT Policy. If you restore those, you'll wind up right back where you are now.

But, again, I recommend caution -- if the seller did not complete some portion of their necessary steps, then it becomes more and more likely that they neglected other steps as well, and some of those can only be done by the actual carrier account holder (e.g., a BIS account remaining in place, locking your BB to that carrier until they release it, but they typically only accept the release request from their actual account holder, which will not be you).

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................