Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Pay and Go BlackBerry

hello I was wondering if anyone could help me out? 

Is it pointless having a Blackberry Curve Pay and Go phone?? I have one, I put my O2 sim card into it (pay as you go) and it works but I can't do basic things like browse the internet or send a piture message,

This is a part of the email O2 sent me You're not able to subscribe to a Blackberry service or data plan with a Pay & Go tariff on O2.

I've listed below the generic GPRS and MMS settings for you to enter manually. Please check your userguide for more information on how to to do this. but I can't enter them because its not has easy as it looks.

Is there any pay and go mobile options with other networks, should I be able to sent picture messages regardless ??

Thanks Gerard

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: Pay and Go BlackBerry

you have to explore this if there are any carriers out there, i am sure there must be though, but it will be worth going for the BIS plan. Picture messages go via mobile network called MMS messages and do not require data plan. it should work on your BB without data plan. O2 should help you with this.
Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Contributor

Data provisioning is an "option" that is added to a base voice plan.  The question becomes, does your carrier allow the data options with a pay as you go base plan.  Problematically, too often the standard pay as you go customer service computer screen won't allow the nice C/S rep to perform the add operation.  Escalation to supervisors may be necessary.

All that said, though, unless you add an unlimited (or descent volume) data plan, the burn rate, in dollars, of a pay as you go data will kill the stored value in your account faster then you can blink.  And, usually, the best value-for-money plans are the vocie-data bundles and these typically are not pay-as-you-go.

You'll likely get the best combo from a post-paid account.

If you're pay-as-you-go because of not having a credit card to open an post-paid type account against, you may want to look at CAPITAL ONES's pre-paid MasterCard.  The MasterCard is pay as you go, but the carrier see you as post-paid account with access to all their post-paid account benefits.  It may take a month or two to get this route up and running but it may serve you best in the long run.

good luck

/S

New Contributor

Thanks for your posts both of you's. After emailing O2 constantly, I eventually got a call from a woman who told me direct ' Your fone can only make/receive calls and txt messages, you can not get Picture Messages or browse the Internet'. She said that if I took out a monthly tariff it could be done. I am not sure what you mean by carriers or BIS plan BBsingh.
New Contributor

I don't think I'll purhase any voice bundles or monthly mins or txt 8f27e956. i think my fone may be locked now to the O2 network. I was on the o2 blackberry account creation web page and it asked for my Device PIN and Device IMEI which I supplied,, this page brings up options like sending service books or you can 'Add An Existing Email Account
Set up an existing work or personal email account for use with your BlackBerry device.
ex. Yahoo!®, Gmail™, Microsoft Outlook®' I tried putting an orange network sim card in and its being rejected,, could this be because of that.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

BIS=balckberry internet service, used to set up your work and personal email accounts. carrier=service provider=O2 etc.

so you only wanna use the account creation webpage if you wanna add your emails to BIS to receive your emails on BB.

for sending picture messages there is a service books along th lines MMS, that is required and should be present under options>adavanced options>service book on BB.

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.