Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Developer
My Device: Tour

PayPal payment process broken

When purchasing an app from the BlackBerry App World via PayPal one step of the purchase process is the ability to "Change Funding" for which there is an appropriate button to select during the process.

My primary funding is tied to my bank account as PayPay desire for folks who don't want to keep cash laying around in PayPay, but whenever I purchase something via PayPal I can "Change Funding" and get a list of other options available to me in my account (primarily a credit card).

When I purchased an app today from the AppWorld I selected this option "Change Funding"...then selected the desired credit card as the desired funding option...then clicked on "Update Funding" and NOTHING happened.  The only way I could purchase the app was to continue and use the bank withdrawal.

RIM...this is unsatisfactory and will eventually lose you some revenue.  I would like to keep my BB software purchase all on AppWorld if possible, just for the clean experience...but this was anything but clean.  If this isn't fixed soon I'll simply download and purchase my BB apps elsewhere.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: PayPal payment process broken

hello,

currently Paypal is the only payment method available on AppWorld.

I am curious : what do you expect from that "Change funding" link ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Developer

The same thing that I get when I purchase anything...anywhere, using PayPal...which is the ability to change the "Funding Option" from whatever the default is to something else.  If you're familiar with PayPal...you have to have a backup funding option in case you don't have cash in PayPal. This is normally a checking account.  For 11 years with PayPal I've used my checking account as the backup but I also have a credit card (actually debit card) on file with PayPal.

MY preference...I keep no cash in PayPal as I don't know when I want to buy something nor do I know what it will cost, but if I want to buy that something I don't want to wait three days for the funds to transfer from my checking account to PayPal.  So when I buy something, PayPal ALWAYS offers the option  "Change Funding" to either the credit card or the checking account, if funds are not available in PayPal itself.

AppWorld also offers the option to "Change Funding" during the purchase process (this option is a requirement of PayPal) but if you press this "Change Funding" option during the AppWorld purchase process...nothing happens, thus forcing me to use my checking account when i don't want to.

Hope this explains my question.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

hello LarryMcJ.

thank you for that detailed explanation. I did not understand everything (because my Paypal account is linked with one of me VISA account), but I understand the two following statements :

- this feature is available in AppWorld when you want to initiate a payment to buy an application

- this feature does not work

- this does not break anything apart from the feature not being available

I will try and see if I can gather more information about this, thanks again.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
Highlighted
Developer

[ Edited ]

Couple of things...

First, it's odd your PP account is linked to a credit card as the first line of payment.  Even on their site PP says the default payment must be either cash in the account or an approved and linked bank account (I have the latter).  But I would rather pay by credit/debit card because I can use a disposable Bank of America card for better security and I have this card tied to my account.  I even called and talked to PP and they said I couldn't link the credit card to the account directly, but I must choose "Change Funding"...which I do.

Just to clarify with App World...this button (Change Funding) is there and visible during the purchase process, but when you click it on your BB nothing happens...e.g. it does not display my credit card as an alternative payment option as it does during other online PP purchases.

Thanks!