Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Perl - 8120
My Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

Pearl 8120 "resets" while trying to use Application Loader

[ Edited ]

I have a Pearl 8120 that had the Java 545 error about the filesystem.  Through my research I decided to try to reload the OS and applications on the device.  I pulled both of the code versions for my provider (Cincinnati Bell) and tried them both.  What I am seeing is that it can upload the new OS to the boot ROM.  After that the application loader is unable to maintain a connection to the BB to load the applications. 

While loading the applications the device randomly resets.  I get a red light & black screen, folowed by several different white screens of an hour glass tumbling, the 504 error, or occasionally the JVM 102 error.  I have tried both code versions available for my carrier, two different PC's, and several different USB cables.  I do see that it makes progress with transfering different application files.  There is no discernable pattern of which file transfer triggers the reset.  The Application loader gives me a few different errors that all indicate that it lost connectivity to the BB.

Only a couple times has it looked like the application files transfer would complete but then I get a different error:

"A fatal error has occured while updating your device's software.  Please try again.  Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000024]"

To me this sounds like a hardware issue.  Particularly with the internal storage.  Does that seem to make sense?  Is there anything else I can try before this BB is declared dead?