Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Pearl Will Not Turn On

For some reason my Pearl will not turn on all of a sudden. It was on and everything was fine. I looked at it like 10 minutes later and it was off. I tried to turn it back on but it would not turn on. I didn't drop it or anything like that, it just stopped all of a sudden.

I have taken the battery out and put it back in. That did nothing. The battery is not dead, it was fully charged. I plugged it in anyway to see if there was a battery problem and the red LED light came on and flashed slowly but nothing else happened. 

Any ideas on what to do?

Thanks in advance. 

Forums Advisor III
My Device: 8110, 8300, 8800, 8700, 9000

Re: Pearl Will Not Turn On

Download the lastest Software for this device from your Carriers Blackberry website.

Once downloaded to your pc, double click to install it.

*Then* plug in ur device to the computer, and using application loader in desktop manager program, push the software to the device.

If you do not have desktop manager, you can still push the software through. Just let me know and i will explain how..  (otherwise you will be spending your whole day downloading both!)

***************************************************************************************************
If your issue is resolved, put a checkmark in the green box that contains the resolution.
OR
If it was just/or also really helpful - Give it a Kudos.. Go on Mate.. Help the rest of the clueless blackberry user world find their answer too..
~Gday from Down Under~
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hey, thanks for the advice.

I downloaded the updates and installed them. I then plugged the phone into my computer and the phone powered on. I did not know if I was supposed do "Restore" or what... sorry for being such a "newb" about this. So, while I was decided what I need to do, the phone shut back off.

If I do need to restore, where is the freaking restore file located at. I can't seem to find it and it didn't say during the install.

EDIT: I did not even take notice to "Application Manager." I ran it with Application Manager now and it did not do anything. The phone is not coming on even when I plug it into the computer now.

Message Edited by matthewd on 06-03-2008 01:13 AM
New Contributor

After messing with it some more I got it to work. Reinstalled the software and everything. The phone is working, but only when plugged into my computer. It shuts off as soon as I unplug it.

Any ideas on why this is? 

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: MTS

matthewd wrote:

The phone is working, but only when plugged into my computer. It shuts off as soon as I unplug it.

Any ideas on why this is? 

It seems that your battery may be faulty. 

New Contributor

I thought something like that too, but my sister has a Pearl so I tried hers in my phone last night and it didn't turn on. I also tried my battery in her phone and it worked.
Trusted Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530 / PlayBook 64GB
My Carrier: MTS

Maybe check the battery contacts in the phone to see if one is bent or broken.

Re: Pearl Will Not Turn On/Revisited with new issue

I see that there was no closure on this and rather than start a new thread I thought it might be better if I posted here.  My son's 8100 suddenly wouldn't turn on as well.  No LED, no nothing.  I tried swapping out the battery with my other son's Pearl as well.  I cannot even get an LED blink 1 time when I plug it into both the wall AND the computer.  I cleaned the battery contacts both on battery and on device, tried taking out SIM Card, memory card, etc.  I am at a loss here and my son is disappointed.  Can anyone offer any help?  He bought it used but it worked great up until this.  Thank you in advance for any help you might have for us.

Craig

New Contributor
My Device: 8100 Pearl

I'm having a similar problem. In April, my Pearl seemingly died and I couldn't even charge the battery. I have T-Mobile, and the T-Mobile guy said the battery was dead and sold me a new one. It worked fine for a month, and then the same thing happen. I went to another T-Mobile guy and said wtf?! and he got me another new battery. Yesterday the same thing happened again. The battery was low but there was still some left. I turned off my Pearl and went to bed. This morning, when I got up, it won't turn on. I plug it into the charger (I've tried two different ones) and no light, no charge, no nothin'. Is my device killing batteries? What's going on here?! I'm on a Mac, so there's no desktop manager and I can't download OS upgrades OTA from T-Mobile. I would love to hear your ideas before I go talk to a third T-Mobile guy this afternoon.
Visitor

[ Edited ]
I too have run into this problem in the last week.  Blackberry Pearl was working fine.  Battery was getting a little low, charged it up and then suddenly it stopped working.  Black screen and cannot turn it on.  It acts like it's completely dead.  Has anyone had any luck finding a solution as well as identifying the cause?
Message Edited by Hansen on 06-17-2008 08:29 PM