06-29-2009 11:06 AM
I have been to just about EVERY thread on both this forum and others (Crackberry for instance). I have also spoken directly with my provider (Verizon Wireless) and with RIM Tech Support (more on that later). Almost all posts I have seen can be narrowed down to the following two theories:
1. The Hardware Problem Theory
In this scenario, something inside of the headset jack is triggered (a switch of some kind) when headphones are inserted. As a result of some defect or other, the switch is not being deactivated when the headphones are removed. Thus, the device still believes that the headset is connected and will default to "Headset Mode" for all calls, music playback, etc.
Every proposed solution has been to insert something (Qtip, headset plug, compressed air, etc.) into the headset jack in an attempt to either dislodge or inactivate the switch that is making device think that a headset is still plugged in. Others have said to do a combination of wiggling the headset insert in and out/back and forth while on a call or pressing some button.
As of today, ALL of the above methods are inconsistent and unreliable. Unless it truly is a spec of dust or something STUCK inside the headset jack, wiggling it around will NOT fix the issue! I was able to temporarily fix my issue doing this, but it just came back when I tried to use the headphones again. How dare I use something that I'm SUPPOSED to be able to use
The ultimate test of this was to take the phone back into a store and get it swapped out (warranty replacement). After speaking with both my provider (Verizon Wireless) and then RIM tech support, I did this recently. Unbelievably, as soon as I restored my backed up settings via desktop and updated the software, the headset issue was also "restored" to its annoying and frustrating recurrance.
After calling RIM support again, they concluded, as I already had, that THIS ISSUE IS NOT A HARDWARE PROBLEM.
2. The Software Problem Theory
In this scenario, either a recent update to the OS or some other unknown software issue (3rd party software or beta releases) is causing the malfunction.
Proposed solutions have ranged from various sequences of settings changes to actual wiping and reinstalling software. Neither of the above have worked consistently either.
I have heard from some people that downgrading software (to .75) has resolved the issue. However, this of course will return BB Storm users back to the stone age and all the original bugs and annoyances that the update was supposed to fix! So I am going to try this (the lesser of two evils I suppose). I will update this post after I see what happens.
FYI: The official word from RIM Tech Support is that the issue is undergoing research and is a known problem that is unresolved. Hopefully a fix will be released in the near future (crosses fingers).
07-08-2009 04:40 AM
same problem here. After updating firmware to 126.96.36.199, my BB is stuck in headset mode. I tried everything, hard reset (pulling battery off while working), wipe handheld and it didn't helped me. also, i tried upgrading and downgrading firmware.
Tamara, if you don't have "enable handset" in the menu when you press BB buton, you have older firmware.
I hope that new firmware will solve this problem...
07-08-2009 08:24 AM
I reposted this problem in recent thread WITH RESOLUTION (albeit a temporary one).
CLICK HERE to go to that thread, or use link below
07-14-2009 04:47 PM
08-13-2009 06:58 AM
I woke up this morning with the same problem. After a bit of research on this form I tried both the removal of the headphone jack and the cotton bud method. The removal of the jack is a slow method as all your really doing is compacting what ever is blocking the jack port. The cotton bud or q tip as seems to be the name in north America works like a dream. I think this can only be a hardware problem and not a software problem as that would make no sense unless a recently installed app was to blame. Hope my trials and tribulations help.
10-11-2009 10:40 PM
For those that want to stay on the newer OS build, I found something that seems to help. I figured, living in a dry climate, the headset jack parts may become dry. A quick microburst of WD 40 directly in the headset jack, along with wiggling the jack, now has it operating a little more normally (phone defaults to handset on telephone calls). I have no idea how my luck will last. In the meantime, I'll be giving up on my headphones.