Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Sprint

Phone get hosed trying to update OS

Tour 9630 - Sprint  version

3 times now I have attempted to update to 4.7.1 and 3 times the device got hosed. Luckily, I have the restore procedure down pat now. Each time it hangs at the JVM part and it says the device is no longer connected. Then you get the white screen of death with the 507 - No OS error. To restore, I delete vendor.xml and run loader.exe with the /nojvm switch.

Can anybody tell me what the deal is? I have the latest version of Desktop Manager. This seems like a rather nasty bug/defect.

In case anybody needs to know to help me, I run Win XP SP3 and BB Desktop Manager 5.0.1.18.  Phone version is 4.4.1.40 (platform 4.1.0.40). Branding version 1.0.101.242.  BB system software 4.7.0.

I just won't update my OS, I guess. Phone has been wiped clean and a fresh install done, then the upgrade was attempted, so no software is interfering.  This is obviously a BB issue on the software or hardware side. I have seen other posts about this issue, but no answers yet.

Again, just very disappointing that I can't trust my phone to update without losing everything. I backup and restore after re-installing the OS, but then I need to download everything again and its a major PITA. Would love some answers.

OS v5.0.0.484