Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

JWo
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Torch
My Carrier: Rogers

Phone won't boot

My phone will not fully boot, it will load to the BlackBerry loading screen. But after it will reboot again and again after a few seconds on that loading screen.

I've tried to boot in Safe mode, which Ive read does not work on the Torch. I've tried to manually install the OS, using BlackBerry Desktop Software and using Loader.exe. Both give me an error message when it tries to Reconnect to JVM. I've called my service provider almost 10 times and BlackBerry Tech Support as well, who recommended I open a ticket with the provider and have them escalate it. I had one opened, but was told it was prob closed because its not a network issue.

I know BlackBerry's don't often have viruses, but I have heard of them. Could this be one of them? And how do I fix my phone?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Phone won't boot

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

From what you describe, I'm not sure you have yet attempted these tricks:

Also, please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain directly connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB, not a cradle):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note carefully please that "new" and "know good" are not necessarily the same things. While rare, a "new" battery certainly could be defective. Rather, the simplest (and least costly, btw) method to conduct this test is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
JWo
New Contributor

Thanks for the response sdgardne, that is a lot of different things to try. Its already been a few days, so I've tried a few things.

I've already tried a bunch of times the first method of Application Loader.

I have the 9800, and found someone with a working 9810 swapped the battery and still nothing. But their phone powers on, so it's the phone.

The only thing I haven't tried, but am testing right now is second method plugged directly into the wall.
JWo
New Contributor

sdgardne, I just finished the 4hrs cycle like you suggested. It still doesn't work.

I asked a local technician, he said I would need like a Master Lock Code from BlackBerry?
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

I have no clue what that technician is talking about. If your BB will not boot (you have not reported here any change to your initial symptoms), then no codes of any kind are of any use because there is no opportunity to enter them. But I don't know what a "Master Lock Code" is anyway...never heard of such a thing (legally) or BlackBerry.

I still cannot tell if you have tried ALL of the first 3 things I provided...each of them are slightly different, with different methods to attempt to get your BB's OS to reload cleanly, and thereby perhaps again be functional. But, since you only mentioned KB10144 (at least that's what I thing you mentioned, you were not specific), that leaves the other two methods in that list untried.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
JWo
New Contributor

I have tried all of your suggestions.
KB10144
1.) Without BBOS installed on the computer, it shows no updates available
2.) With BBOS installed, it starts the install process but errors out when trying to Reconnect to JVM after waiting for initialization in the second stage of the install process.

KB27956
1.) With the BBOS installed on the computer, it starts the install process but the same error occurs at the same part of the install process
2.) Without the BBOS installed, it also shows "There are no BlackBerry Device Software updates available."

Nuked BlackBerry
This was the first thing I tried. It is able to start the install process, but like the others errors out at the same stage of the install process. Saying it can not reconnect to phone. My phone has a password, but even with me entering the password it still shows the same error message.
Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

Hmmm...well, if you can't get it to boot into any stable state, then most of the tricks and tools aren't useful. You can try bbsak and JLCmder I suppose, but I actually think they won't be able to succeed due to your BB not being able to boot up into any state.

I think I might recommend seeking in-person support again...perhaps not from that same person who recommended something that's not, as far as I can tell, "real".

Good luck!