Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Photo software is too slow - sorry

I am sad to say this but the photo software on my BB was to slow.

I tried everything.  I tried using the list method, the eight thumbnail, the seven thumbnail, the six thumbnail, the five thumbnail, the four thumbnail and the three thumbnail scroll settings, but the the regeneration time was too slow.  It was painful to watch the poor little BlackBerry suffer with a file of 350 small images (12KB to 40KB each) regenerate so slowly.  You can scroll down to the bottom of the file and the BlackBerry forgets and has to regenerate picture after picture when you scroll back to the top of the file.

That's not worth it for me.

I looked for better BB photo software on the web and found none.  I spoke with a RIM tech support person and he confirmed my suspicion.  He said, "It can't do that."  It can't handle large files fast.

I asked the RIM tech guy if I could change the cache size myself and he said no.  I asked if he could do something and he said no.

I am no technical genius, but I believe the cache size is the problem because smaller files move well and efficiently.

So, I am disappointed.

I loved the BB but this is a deal breaker for me.  I show lots of plant photos to my landscape design clients, and I cannot wait for the regeneration time between photos or files.

Being an AT&T customer saved me though.  I was able to exchange my phone.

I now have an iPhone and I am totally happy and amazed at how fast the photo software is.  It is really impressive, capable and quick.

BlackBerry Bold and RIM needs some tweaking here.

Additionally, the Desktop Synchronization Manager Software is very disappointing.  It is aggravatingly slow to synchronize.  Why does it start from scratch at every sync?  Why doesn't it just look for what is new?  It shouldn't take five minutes to sync.  We are busy people, and we have to go to our next appointment right after we type in client info in our desktop's Outlook calendar.  We do not have the time to wait five minutes while the BB takes five minutes to get the new appointment info.

Farewell ... and to think ... I waited since July 2008 for this thing to finally come out.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Photo software is too slow - sorry

Thanks for sharing and  enjoy your new camera!

Please take a second and resolve the thread, OK?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

Hello and thanks for the post "Bifocals".

However, I will not be using the iPhone as a camera.  I will use it as a phone/PDA that can show my clients any plant photo I have stored quickly (up to 3,500 images).

Quickness was the issue.  The BlackBerry failed in this regard.  The iPhone excelled beyond expectations as it is extremely quick.

I have a nice Nikon SLR for photography and use Picasa too downsize the images for PDA viewing.  So, that wasn't the issue.

Best of luck to all!

New Contributor

Agree. A blackberry bold is not AT ALL able to handle images. Have uploaded some 3000 small JPegs pic of 350x250. Total foldersize about 160MB.  About 40kb per pic. It takes extremely long time (3 minutes or more !!!)  for the bold to diplay anything in the folder. In the meantime it is frozen.

Completely unusable for photo showing. 

Unhappy about a lot of the functionality about the bold anyway.

- Appointment keep disapearing  even after setting keep appointments forever.

- cannot show streaming video on 3G (only on wifi)

- BB Maps are incorrect 

Would never suggest a friend to buy the BOLD. It is so disappointing that the things you expect to work (and RIM advertises with)  just dont work on a bold. The tech support of my local provider KPN are also very surpised and disapointed with the BOLD. It is just not a finished product.

If you dont have a bold and you need something more then just Email (actualy the only thing that works as expected on the bold) do yourself a favour and DONT buy one. It is a big disappointment.