Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Ireland
Accepted Solution

Physical keyboard not working on new Torch 9800

Hi, I got a new BB Torch 9800 a few days ago and the physical keyboard won;t work (and has never worked) when I slide it out.  Does anyone know if there is a setting somewhere I need to activate, or is this likely to be a device fault?  (By the way, I downloaded the latest software update and rebooted and took out the battery etc...)  Everything else seems to work fine.  Any help appreciated!  Thanks

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch
My Carrier: tmoble

Re: Physical keyboard not working on new Torch 9800

Hi I have the same problem ,,, when I type the letter " q " I get an " a"

and when I type the letter  "w" I get a " z "    ,,,,, "a" ="q"

and "z"  = " w " is there away to fix this problem ?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

@odonnec, if you've removed the battery while the phone was powered on and the keyboard still doesn't want to work, it would be a hardware defect  and you should talk to your carrier about getting a phone that does work.

@mikebrazil, try removing the battery while your phone is powered on then replacing it a few seconds later.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch
My Carrier: tmoble

thanks ,,, for your time , the problem is solved , but i did not try what you said , what it was it was the settings on the phone

option --- typing and input ---keyboard setting ---keyboard layout--- " choose QWERTY "

and that solved the problem

My Carrier: Vodafone Ireland

Thanks a lot BillJ - my phone is on its way back to the supplier for a replacement - appreciate the help!

My Carrier: Vodafone UK

Already did a hard reset and it fixed problem for about 5 mins for it to happen again. Seems to reset if a security verficiation is carried out but not if it isn't. Phone due to be replaced - but now I have a dilemma - I can use my old phone - but have to re-register on bb network to get full functionality or have no phone until Wednesday because of the bank holidays!!!

krp
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: att

the keyboard and the keys under the screen are not working was this your problem and if it was how did you go about finding the phone options to type in the "cure"

My Carrier: att

Also for those of you that had no luck with any of these answers, I solved the same issue by opening op the case from the back of the phone and removing (cutting and pulling out) the cable that leads to the top 'unlock' button. Mine had become permanently turned on so all the physical keys were locked all the time. I hope no one else has to go through this.
My Device: BB torch 9800
My Carrier: telus

The reason that you have that problem is because the keyboard was set to French(France) keyboard, to change that just search for it in your phone and it should give you the option to change the keyboard, then just pic US or UK or whichever you want you pick

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 9300
My Carrier: Carphone warehouse

Re: blackberry 9300 keyboard not working

fizzy drink spilled on blackberry 9300 and know the letters r,t,f,g,c,v is not working does any one have a suggestion of how to help me well if you do please reply.