Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone

Picture Filenames and Extensions

Hello

My picture about a month ago started saving with an extra file extension after the .jpg so now they are .jpg.rem this means i cannot send via txt or email the pictures with the .jpg.rem but can the ones with .jpg can anyone tell me how to change the way the device saves the pictures when i take them back to the origial extension of .jpg

Cheers

New Contributor

Re: Picture Filenames and Extensions

I've managed to turn the .rem off by not encryting the media files is there any way to change the extensions of the pictures that are already saved as when trying to rename them the extensions are not on the fie name

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

You may be able to rename them in Mass Storage Mode.

When you connect your device to the PC, you'll have three options from which to choose, the first being USB.  Choose that option.  Your PC should then show a couple of windows that show your BlackBerry as a USB drive.  Choose the option to open in a folder.  You can then navigate to the pictures folder on your media card.  Select one of the pictures in question and right-click on it.  See if you're able to change something in the Properties to unencrypt the item.  If not, there should also be an option to "Rename."  See if you can then remove the .rem extension.

Let us know if this helps, or even makes sense!  Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Highlighted
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi and welcome to the forums!

If you still have a version of desktop manager with Roxio media manager

you can try this.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB22577 Encrypted files on a media card are able to be copied off of the media card in a decrypted state and can be viewed

"Files on a media card in a BlackBerry® smartphone that are encrypted are given a .REM file extension. To decrypt these files, the media card must be in a smartphone or the files must be copied off the media card using Roxio® Media Manager for BlackBerry smartphones."

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Forums Veteran I

Thanks for the follow up, Mr. Bifocals.  Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

Thanks folks,

I will try these i have managed to rename by going into the files folder on the phone and renameing there unfortunately its one at a time and just taking the .rem doesn't work you have to rename the whole file as it tells me it already exists

I'll let you now how i get on with the other bits

Forums Veteran I

Thanks.  Would appreciate you letting us know how it goes.