Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Visitor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Picture viewer artifacts/distortion

I am having trouble with the quality of the pictures when displayed through the picture viewer. Of course, the pre-loaded wallpaper pictures are perfect, but any of my photos are greatly distorted with jpeg artifacts. What gives?!?!?

I took the time to load photos to the phone which I first prepared in Photoshop with low compression (high quality) and exact screen size for the Torch (360x480), but when I loaded them to the phone, they looked horrible.

So then...

• I did discover the "optimize" switch in the desktop software and turned it off and tried again -> same distorted result
  • I opened the phone as a USB drive and made sure that the high quality photos I made were being transferred to the phone without conversion -> same distorted result
  • I then recreated the photos as png images (lossless) and loaded them to the phone -> same distorted results
  • I then appended the .rem extension to the photos (since all of the preloaded wallpaper images had that extension and I thought it might be a switch to tell the viewer not to compress the pictures) ->  that diidn't work at all. the .rem images were not even viewable
  • I then selected one of my png files loaded to the phone as the wallpaper and the wallpaper appeared crystal clear, but it still was highly distorted when I viewed the same image through the picture viewer.

So how can I get the picture viewer to cooperate and display my pictures without the extreme compression? I know it is possible since it does it with the pre-loaded images. I have spent hours looking for some sort of display setting, but have found nothing.

This really ruins the whole experience for me and makes me want to return the phone if there is no solution. I did not have this problem with my old Bold.

Please help.

Visitor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Picture viewer artifacts/distortion

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem. So instead of saving pictures at 360x480, I opted for a higher resolution, 1600 and up (with jpeg quality 80%) and transferred to the media card without optimizing. Now it looks fine and I can enlarge them and still not see and pixelation/distortion. It might work for you.