Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Storm & 9800 Torch
My Carrier: MTN South Africa

Place Call not using Contact List

I have set a password on my phone and enabled te option to place calls while the phone is locked.  However when I use this option it always opens the dial pad and I am therefore unable to make any calls unless I know hte number.

Under Call Logs and Lists:

Initial View: Contacts

Phone List View: Names

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Place Call not using Contact List

[ Edited ]

Hi and welcome to the forums!

I have a 9550 Storm2 running v5.0.

I also set the device password and select the option to make and receive calls while locked.

My phone screen opens to the dial pad, with the call logs and contacts icons visible on the top under

My number. Do you not have access to these icons?

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thank you for the welcome.

I can see the icons but I am unable to access them by using the touch screen or the navigator button

Guru I

Drewskie wrote:

Thank you for the welcome.

I can see the icons but I am unable to access them by using the touch screen or the navigator button

Hi,

They are not functioning or you can click them but do not get to the information?

On the phone screen click menu key>click General options>Initial view>contacts>save.

See if that changes it for you.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

If I click on them the selection does not move.  They seem greyed out.

I have stated in my first message that it is set to Initial>Contacts.  I did change it to something else and then back but still no luck.

Guru I

Drewskie wrote:

Under Call Logs and Lists:

Initial View: Contacts

Phone List View: Names

If I click on them the selection does not move.  They seem greyed out.

I have stated in my first message that it is set to Initial>Contacts.  I did change it to something else and then back but still no luck.

Hi,
Yes I understood your first message. I suggested a different way to get there. I'm going to research this, it will take a while. I'm sure another 9800 user may have suggestions as well.
Thanks
Bifocals

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone (India)

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I am Sushant from India and I have the same problem. My Torch 9800 was working fine till last night and then suddenly I had a couple of problems creep in related to this one.

I have activated the "allow outgoing calls when phone locked" option

Initial View -> Call Log

Phone List View -> Most Recent

The problems I am facing are:

1. Whenever I try to place a call with my phone locked, it shows me the Dial Pad and the other 2 icons for Call Log and Contacts are greyed out and unusable even if you try and click on them. This was not the case before and I could access both the call log and contacts and make calls from them even with the phone locked.

2. Most of the times when the phone is unlocked and I press the phone (green) button to make a call, it opens to the dial pad (even though my initial setting is call log) and when I navigate to the call log, it is blank. I have to then go back to the home screen (by pressing the red button) and when I press the phone button again, the call log is now visible.

3. A couple of times I get a call and although it i stored in my contacts list, it does not show the contact it is attached to, just displays the call incoming from a number and no name.

As stated above, all these problems started together and the phone was working fine before then. These are what I have noticed so far. Maybe there are more and I have to just find them out.

I would also like to mention that I bought my phone just a week back and have not yet installed any other apps or softwares than what already came installed with the new phone. So it cannot be that sone app has corrupted my phone or changed the settings. Also, I have not yet activated blackberry services or used internet through the phone, so no issues there too. Basically so far my phone has been used for only the very mundane things as calling and texting and nothing else and exploring the phone ptions a little.

Also, I noticed something while trying to figure out these new problems. If I uncheck the "allow outgoing calls when phone locked" option, the other two problems get resolved themelves. Hope hat helps with an answer.

I would really appreciate any help provided.

Thanks.

Do What you Love...
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

1. If you have encryption enable on the device then you need to ensure the contacts are not encryped if you want to use it while the phone is locked. Options / Security / Encryption / Include Contacts.  You will however not be able to use the recent list due to the fact this list gets encryped too.

2. sorry no idea there

3. refer to 1

Hope this helped.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone (India)

Drewskie wrote:

1. If you have encryption enable on the device then you need to ensure the contacts are not encryped if you want to use it while the phone is locked. Options / Security / Encryption / Include Contacts.  You will however not be able to use the recent list due to the fact this list gets encryped too.

2. sorry no idea there

3. refer to 1

Hope this helped.

Thanks. It worked perfectly for me.

Do What you Love...