Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Playbook for $199

I see the ad for the Playbook for $199 with links to various stores - Walmart, BestBuy, etc - but when I go to the various sites, the Playbook is being sold for $499+.  How do I get the Playbook for the $199? Do I need some sort of discount code? Please help.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Playbook for $199

I am reading that most of those retailers are out of stock at this point, but you might want to actually call the retailer in question and ask why it is not listed at the correct price.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Developer
My Device: PlayBook, Z10
My Carrier: none

Just go direct, and buy from the BlackBerry online store. (That's the Canadian link... you'll want to switch if you're in US, and I'm not sure what you'll do if you're outside N.A.)

Best of all, there's a coupon code floating around out there which you can use to get an extra $10 off.

I liked this approach since it meant RIM can get more of money, instead of some margin going to places like Staples or Walmart, which have done an incredibly poor job (in my opinion) of actually supporting the thing. Sure, it would have sold better for them if RIM had the 2.0 features back in the summer, but the stores could have tried a bit harder... like maybe having some of the display units functional, updated, and turned on.

Peter Hansen -- (BB10 and dev-related blog posts at http://peterhansen.ca.)
Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
New Contributor
My Device: Playbook 16 gig
My Carrier: Telus

I pre-purchased my 16 gig unit at Staples on Thursday and I was advised that there was no guarantee that it would be in before Christmas.  Friday afternoon there was a message to come and pick it up!  I managed to play around with it for a few hours before relinquishing it for Christmas wrapping etc.  I am very impressed with it - can you tell me if they are planning on adding an email client, contacts, and task app as well as the Calendar to the 2.0 OS update.  I don't have a BB smartphone and I do not plan on getting one as I have no need. I am retired now and my cell phone usage is extremely low and basic.  I have several Android tablets and so far hardware wise the PB is tops.  Just need more apps and themes.

John

Highlighted
Developer

John, those are absolutely things that will be added in the free 2.0 update.  Those features were actually demonstrated at a Toronto "enterprise" conference/seminar of some kind just this past week, and you can find pictures of some of the screens in the various PlayBook review sites and forums.

In addition we expect improved video chat features, some amount of USB "host mode" support (to let you attach peripherals, possibly including USB flash drives). There's apparently going to be a new video store feature, and support for Digital Rights Management (DRM) that could support things like Netflix, e-books loaned from libraries, and other things many people have wanted.  I'm sure there will be some other "biggies" as well that aren't covered there.

There won't be theme support yet, as far as we know, but I believe it's in the roadmap or at least the design stages.

Author of White Noise and Battery Guru for BB10 and for PlayBook | Get more from your battery!
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9850

[ Edited ]
79.99 After all discounts Including $10.00 coupon for 16 gb. I'm so glad I read this post before I invested in a playbook. Thanks for the link!
Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9850

sorry all its just a case or starter bundle not a playbook.....
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: T-mobille

Peter, do you have an ETA on the 2.0 update for the blackberry plabook?  It's frustrating not having some of what I would think would be huge apps for playbook, Kindle and Netflicks to name two.  I was going to sell my playbook but since the price dropped it's not worth the effort.  I may just give it to my niece and wait until after Christmas for sales on other tablets.

Hopefully the new update will keep me as a playbook owner - if I can hold out longer.

Regards, Kelly

Developer

They've apparently said February 17 is the date. This is, to my knowledge, the first time they've actually given a precise date about anything associated with the PlayBook except the April 19 release date. They didn't give that date until they knew they were on track to get there... as long as they were still unsure it was just "early 2011", then "first quarter" or maybe "early March", and then "by end of first quarter"...

Once they finally gave a date, they met it. I think that's their approach this time, too. There were early targets of "60 days" for native email, then "summer", "end of summer", "after DevCon", "February 2012". Having an actual date gives me some assurance they're going to be on track with that, for what it's worth.

We're all frustrated... but I have high hopes for 2.0 and I don't think I'll be disappointed this time around.

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Bell

Hi, that Canadian site still says 32GB $599.00. Is the sale over?