Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 8820
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Please help | I am scared to buy blackberry due to my bad experience with 8820

[ Edited ]

It is two years now and I have tried many blogs but could not find solutions.

Note: Most / All of the features are provided by android phones.

1. Email Service: I don't see a folder structure and therefore waste lot of time in findinding right email.

2. Calling: Sometime endup calling incorrect contact when trackball run Slower/ Faster then expected.

3. SMS:  Unable to send a message to unsaved numbers from 'SMS Ans MMS'.

4. Installing Applications:

a. Unable to install the applications on Memory Card and provided with ~25 MB space after OS.

b. Due to 15 MB left on the device it is running slow.

5. Browser: It is taking me to Balckberry Help by default, canges to Home Page are getting reverted.

6. WiFi: Unable to connect to open WiFi networks like at Airport, Coffee Chops, etc.

7: With PC: Unable to access Merory Card to copy music/ videos.

8: Nerwork: If there is dip in network then I have to turn off and enable 'Mobile Network'

9. Bluetooth: Unable to connect to my Dell Laptop, or phones like (Nokia, Samsung, etc)

10. Update: Unable to upgrade to latest software.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Please help | I am scared to buy blackberry due to my bad experience with 8820

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First off, for me, comparisons to other devices is not relevant. The richness of life on our planet means that we are a diverse bunch...and that results in a plethora of different choices, each suited to a different set of desires. The key, to me, is to identify those things that are critical to you...and then research the various devices to decide what best meets your needs. To expect them all to be the same would be futile...if they are all the same, then that means we humans are all the same...which is just not going to be the case.

That said, I'll treat this as part of your research and give you the answers to those items that I know about:

hemanttandon wrote:

1. Email Service: I don't see a folder structure and therefore waste lot of time in findinding right email.

Folders are only available to BES-level customers. BIS level customers don't get folders on a BB.

hemanttandon wrote:

2. Calling: Sometime endup calling incorrect contact when trackball run Slower/ Faster then expected.

I've no idea what you are trying to say with that one. But, I can guess that it comes down to one thing...getting used to the way a particular device works, which means dropping the pre-conceived notions of how it should work and learning to work with it.

hemanttandon wrote:

3. SMS:  Unable to send a message to unsaved numbers from 'SMS Ans MMS'.

I think that's just how it works on BBs...something to get used to.

hemanttandon wrote:

a. Unable to install the applications on Memory Card and provided with ~25 MB space after OS.

Not possible on BBs.

hemanttandon wrote:

b. Due to 15 MB left on the device it is running slow.

One must choose the apps that they really need and only use those. One must also properly manage their running apps so as to not overtax resources.

hemanttandon wrote:

5. Browser: It is taking me to Balckberry Help by default, canges to Home Page are getting reverted.

We'd need to delve much deeper into that...it is completely possible to have a different home page. But, then again, I don't bother with a browser homepage...I start at my bookmarks and choose the site I want.

hemanttandon wrote:

6. WiFi: Unable to connect to open WiFi networks like at Airport, Coffee Chops, etc.

Another thing that would require delving into much deeper -- "unable to connect" doesn't really give us anything to go on. We'd need to know what you attempt, what exactly happens, how you are configured, etc. etc. etc.

hemanttandon wrote:

7: With PC: Unable to access Merory Card to copy music/ videos.

Again..."unable to access" gives us nothing to go on. Via Mass Storage Mode, it is completely possible to browse your Media Card memory space as a USB drive on a PC.

hemanttandon wrote:

8: Nerwork: If there is dip in network then I have to turn off and enable 'Mobile Network'

Dip?

hemanttandon wrote:

9. Bluetooth: Unable to connect to my Dell Laptop, or phones like (Nokia, Samsung, etc)

Again, "unable to connect" does not provide enough to go on. It is possible to do so, but technically only BT connections directly between BB devices is formally supported...though it works pretty much fine in many other cases. But you have to have the proper drivers on the PC, etc. etc., etc.

hemanttandon wrote:

10. Update: Unable to upgrade to latest software.

Here again, "unable to upgrade" is too limited of information to say anything. It's completely possible to do so.

Since you are in an information gathering and decision mode, I've not given you the details about how to accomplish the things I say can be done...you don't need those unless and until you actually have a BB.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: 8820
My Carrier: Bharti Airtel

Re: Please help | I am scared to buy blackberry due to my bad experience with 8820

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. I don't want to invent your / my efforts in resolving below issues.

From your reply like 'BIS level customers don't get folders on a BB.', 'I think that's just how it works on BBs..Something to get used to.', 'Not possible on BBs.' it is quite evident that things are not much different than I imagine. I would probably plan for new BB when I at least see two features:

1. Folder Structure even for BIS customers.

2. Ability to install application on Memory Card.

If possible, please share if there is any news on the same.

Regards,

Hemant

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Well, two problems with that request.

1) I really don't know anything about what may or may not come in the future.

2) Even if I did know such things, I'd be specifically enjoined from revealing such information here on these forums (and, likely anywhere).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................