Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

Please somebody help me before I BREAK something or someone! Problems syncing with PocketMac ...

Hi,

I have a lovely 2 year old BlackBerry 8700 which I purchased PocketMac for so it would sync with my iBook and .mac account.  It worked fine for about 6 months I think.

After a couple of months, I started having problems whereby the Address Book would start multiplying/separating out my groups and deleting information from some of my contacts.  It seems as if I'd ever entered information not as someone's "Work" contact - be it phone number or email address - then I could very possibly lose it on my next sync.  

Then, it started mucking around the dates in my iCal, pushing them forwards or back by a couple of days, and considering I was trying to run a business with this, it got horribly annoying.

For the last year, I haven't bothered syncing it at all as I've been off work ill, but now that I'm back and have a brand new MacBook that works beautifully,  I really need to figure out the bugs with this silly annoying program, or I may have to throw the BlackBerry at something.

My iCal and Address Book have both been a complete mess on my computer, BlackBerry and .mac account due to PocketMac, I have stopped using iCal and now use a paper diary as I have no idea what information where is correct.  With Address Book, I have just kept trying to deal with and there are updates on both my BlackBerry and MacBook that I just tried to sync and it's ended up dumping a whole load of information I'd deleted off my MacBook back on it again.  

As you can imagine, it's getting very very tiresome.

Apple's new MobileMe service has ironed out the wrinkles between my MacBook and (what was) my .Mac account, but then why I try and add the BB to the mix, it all goes to pot once more.

As I paid for PocketMac, I figure there must be some way of making it work without all the flipping bugs.

If anyone has any tidbits of information they could send my way that will stop me from killing someone, I'd very much appreciate it.

BlackBerry is an 8700 running on (Australia's) Telstra EDGE network

MacBook is running OS 10.5.4

PocketMac SyncManager is Version 1.0 (1.0.9)

Thanks again.

Cheers, Katrina.

Regular Contributor

Re: Please somebody help me before I BREAK something or someone! Problems syncing with PocketMac ...

Hi Katrina - I hear what you are saying about the problems. I've been using a BB Pearl here in Canada since January and I had the same problems with PocketMac from the start. iCal dates getting strangely duplicated after syncing and contacts in AddressBook groups getting listed twice on the BB. The only solution I used was to have the Mac always override the BB when syncing. NOt perfect but for me it was the simplest way to ensure the consistency of the data and my own sanity.

If anyone has a better solution that actually allows a clean sync I'd love to hear it.

Re: Please somebody help me before I BREAK something or someone! Problems syncing with PocketMac ...

Hello. This is a recurrent problem of PocketMac. I've used many different versions of it and with at least 4 models of Blackberry. In my case with Entourage 2004 and 2008. 

I am still looking for a definitive solution to this problem. The only way I know to avoid the problem is to wipe out the Blackberry and start over. But it will come back eventually.

It is quite a shame that RIM is not supporting Mac users better than that. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I'm now using MissingSync and it works great.