Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Poor signal reception on my Tour

I am having the same problem. When I start doing heavy data (slacker/where) my network switches to 1X

Just sitting at home its EVDO then 1X  4 bars  to 2 bars in and out.

I hope someone from BB responds or I might call verizon an see what my options are 

New Contributor

I work in a corporate Sprint store in Raleigh and recently upgraded to a Tour. First thing I notice about it bad is that the signal is alot worse then my Curve. I drop calls, roam, data doesn't work in places. We've had several customers come in returning/exchanging Tours also due to an issue with the trackball (Which we have gotten word is a known issue as well). I even as an employee had to unfortunately exchange my phone after installing a InvisibleShield on it :-( Should be here tomorrow, I will see if it helps anything at all. Hopefully like the Storm for Verizon and Curve for Nextel there will be a software update that can address this issue.
Contributor

When I got my blackberry tour, one of the first few phone calls I placed with it ended up being a dropped call. I'm having the same exactly signal fluctuation issue and sometimes I don't have service in areas where I had it with my HTC Touch Pro and all other phones which I had through Sprint.

Still somewhat experiencing the trackball issue as well. I'm hoping some sort of a software upgrade fixes this issue.

So Nunzii, when you say that it is a known issue, does this mean that RIM is working on it?

New Contributor

We got word yesterday that RIM and Sprint are working on the trackball issue, the issue with signal has come up also and though I'm not 100% sure yet but I believe there will be a software update soon hopefully, but in the meantime I just exchanged mine out for a (hopefully) better one.
Developer

looks like RIM wants to get rid of the troublesome trackballs alltogether....keep in ind that curve's also had a major issue with trackballs, although, for a different reason

all new BB's seem to have trackpads now and they seem to be getting good reviews

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have a new BB Tour from VZW, and I also have the Curve from VZW.  Side by side:

Curve Results over 2 min periods:

-83 dBm, 

-81 dBm

-85 dBm

-80 dBm

-81 dBm

Tour:

-96dBm

-92dBm

-97Dbm

-89dBm

Curve is consistently better.     However, i've had no issues with data transfer, or voice quality.   I've always told people:  Different can phones work differently in the same areas.   Some phones only need a bar, or can make a clear call with no bars.   Some phones need 3bars.   If you don't experience a problem it doesn't really matter Smiley Happy

Contributor

Got my tour thru Verizon.  Had too many issues with my curve.  I have had no issues with this phone to date.  Great reception for me....

I returned my Tour on Friday.  Awesome device, but like everyone else, the reception sucks.   Two dropped calls in conference calls with clients did it for me.  My old pearl is back in service, and the reception can't be beat.

Oh and the Tour handfree Bluetooth sucks too... but that is another discussion...

I can also confirm this exact issue with my Tour on Verizon. I placed a call to their tech support on Friday and the returned my call on Monday morning. The tech support guy was very apologetic and said he knew about it. He told me how to turn on my old 8830, make a quick text call and I recorded a -109 Db signal. I held the Tour right beside my old 8830 World Edition and could not register a signal strength with 10 Db. This is not an issue when you are right under a tower, but if you are in the sticks like were I live, it is a BIG issue. I want BB to fix this issue NOW! It is not a Verizon issue or it would be the same signal strength on both phones. 

I am not a happy camper. Smiley Mad

New Contributor

Since I was still having problems after getting my 2nd Tour, I took it to a Sprint service center. The tech said he had had the same problem with his Tour and he fixed it by re-provisioning. He also registered the Tour to the network with Options > Advanced Options > Host Routing Table > BB Key > Register Now.

The signal still fluctuates but data is much faster and I have not dropped any calls since he did that. Worth a try.