Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Poor signal reception on my Tour

I bought a new Sprint Tour four days ago and I have erratic signal changes. It bounces quite frequently between 1X and 1XEV, even roaming when I'm in the middle of good coverage. I hope there is an OS update soon.

I am in Canada, got my tour from Bell a week ago, and its dropping half of my calls, also many of my incoming calls are not showing, the phone dose not ring at all, people are complaining that I am not answering phone calls, I never had this problem with my 4 years old phone also with bell.
Yesterday I called Bell customer services explaining the issue, they said they never heard of this before and suggested to replace my device with a new one which I happily did, unfortunately I am still having the same issue.
I love the tour, but if there is no fix before my 30 days purchase policy expires, I am returning it Smiley Sad
Developer

I am also having this same issue. I went and bought another Tour at sprint at full price to have it sit next to my Tour and that one seeems to be keeping the signal steady....mine will lose service and search for cdma signal .....I have noticed I have missed 2 calls with this ending up in voicemail without it even ringing.....

My old 8330 keeps and holds on to the signal perfectly

I really want to exchange my current Tour, but I have the invisible shield already installed and i would rather not spend extra money getting in reinstalled on another phone

New Contributor

For the first couple days I could not find out why no one could hear me. I then figured out that I go from 2 bars to 0 when I put the phone up to my head! So now I just talk to everyone on speaker phone or with a headset and no one complains anymore!
Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

I have a Tour with Verizon and have also noted no bars inside my house.

New Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630

Yikes! The first couple of posts, I was beginning to assume it was just Verizon, but then I saw the same issues with Sprint users.

I've had my Tour since the 19th, am a Sprint user coming from an 8703e (and a sulky Curve and a malcontent Pearl, kept going back to my trusty 8703e), but I've gotten only awesome signal. Even down in the valley where even my 8703e lost signal, I still have two bars. I lost signal for about 30 minutes on my drive from Ohio to NC (in Wheeling, WV of all places).

One of the things that the sprint rep told me was to say no when, on boot up, the Tour asks if you want to utilize both the GSM and CDMA networks depending on availablity. Maybe that makes a difference? Dinnae ken.

Good luck to y'all.

New Contributor

I was having the same low signal problems on my Sprint Tour so I swapped it for a new one yesterday. Unfortunately, it is no different. There are parts of my house that I cannot get a signal in and data is very slow due to the poor signal, I assume. The Tour has a lot of great features but it has to work as a phone or it goes back and I'll keep using my Treo for a while.

New Contributor

I am having the same problem on Sprint network. I'm in an area with supposedly great Sprint coverage. My Verizon and AT&T phone works great in my apartment but the Tour has erratic reception (from full 5 bars to zero). Consequently, I had dropped and missed calls numerous times. I contacted Sprint- who “marked” my location cellular tower so that if the complaints add up they can send someone to make sure nothing was wrong with their tower. While waiting, I took the phone over to a local Sprint store. After explaining the same situation I was advised to change my “Network Selection Mode” to “Home” only. The local store rep- who knew the neighborhood- thought the “AUTOMATIC” mode might have gotten too busy switching carriers, hence the erratic reception.

RESULTS >>>   I still get erratic reception but the call quality is acceptable even with zero bars!  Also, I have not yet dropped any calls. However, this is the weekend and so I am waiting to see what happens on Monday. Seeing so many similar complaints I am not too sure if the fix was permanent or just a weekend thing.

Did anyone else receive similar directions from their carrier?
New Contributor

I'm having the same poor reception issues. Verizon issued a second replacement phone - no change. Returned to the store a second time. While there, placed my Tour in Options/Status mode, where it displayed -102dbm. While standing in the same spot (in the store) measured -92dbm on a model 8830 Blackberry.  This is a huge differance in signal strength.  On occasion, the Tour would jump up in strength to match the -92dbm of the 8830 model.  Without fail, the 8830 model remained the same, never moving from the -92dbm.  The Tour was jumping all over the place.

My signal strength at my home was typically 2 or 3 bars, with my former 8830 Blackberry.  My new Tour often drops connectivity, displaying "searching for CDMA".  Verizon confirms that the 8830 and Tour both use CDMA technology. 

While in the Verizon store, I also compared the Storm signal strength.  I found it had a similar signal strength as the Tour.  Neither phones were as solid as the model 8830 Blackberry, on display.

New Contributor

Hi,

I recently got my BB Tour and i am experiencing the same issues of poor signal reception, going out of service, going to 1X from EVDO, and dropping calls. Also the device heats up around the keyboard area. I am not sure what to do because it seems it is common to most of the users. I am not sure a software will fix the issue if the phone receiver sensitivity is not as good as others. It feels like RIM has rushed into producing this phone but there are still some bugs to work them out. I also, have compared it with the 8830 signal, it shows around 10dB less and same experience as the post before. Hope someone from BB replies to this. Thanks.