Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Poor video performance and other things.

I've tried using the facility to play back video on my Blackberry 9000, and I have a couple of points that I believe are worth raising:

firstly whenever I use the application to convert the videos that comes with the Blackberry the audio and video get out of synch on a number of occasions when playing longer videos (an episode of Stargate SG-1 for example - this lasts about 45 minutes). This is despite the fact that the source video file itself does not seem to have the same problem when played on the PC (win XP). Often when playing the video on the 9000 it seems to jump a bit, almost like it's trying to re-synch the video and audio at sparodic intervals. Bare in mind that this file has been produced by RIMs own application to run on its own phone.

Also it would be nice to convert files before transferring them to the 9000 and possibly even when the phone itself is not connected. For one thing even with a large memory card installed the space available is still fairly limited, and it would be nice to know how much I'll be copying across before I decide to do so (I'm guessing that the file size, once converted, can easily be different than the source video, especially for HD content). I would also be able to build up a library of files I could copy across far more quickly when I decide I want them on the phone (again due to the more limited space).

I've also noticed that the 3G functionality on my phone seems to drain the battery quite quickly compared to when it's limited to a 2G network. In itself this is not unexpected, but it would be nice if there was an easily accessible button or icon to turn 3G on or off so that I don't have to dig about in the settings to do this, especially if I want to switch between just watching video and using the browser or other stuff that would be best used with 3G turned on (perhaps have an indicator next to the sound profile icon in the top left hand corner of the screen to tell the user the current mode and allow them to change it?). An even better solution might be to allow an automatic switch between the two depending on what application you're using (although given that the phone seems to have to restart when the network option is changed I'm guessing that this isn't feasible).

I'm also not sure if there's a problem with my blackberry - Orange have already reported problems with the firmware where Blackberry Maps is concerned - but my Blackberry does not seem to recognise when I've read mail on my outlook account and mark it as read on the handset too. It's already been suggested that I look at the settings and I have done so, but nothing seems to be having an impact on this.

My Device: Not Specified

Re: Poor video performance and other things.

I'm not sure what you're on about with the phone rebooting when changing 3g / 2g network options.  I do this whenever I go out from home / come home, as I have wireless so it makes sense to save the battery (most 3g devices drain batteries quickly) and turn it on when I go out.  I don't have to reboot the phone to do this, it happens instantly.

I agree it would be nice to be able to programme one of the convenience keys for this.

Can't comment on the rest as haven't used it for video or used it with outlook.

Highlighted
Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Poor video performance and other things.

To answer your video problem - I don't believe it has to do with the device - but possibly the way your are converting/final converted output.

I've been watching House, Entourage, The Office, numerous anime series, and Top Gear on my phone for a while now - no problem at all with speeds, or synchronization. 

What program are you using to convert? And what settings are you using?

For Widescreen shows - I've been using "Any Video Converter."

Use xVid codec,  480x272 resolution, bitrate 768, and default audio. This has been perfect for all my widescreen shows so far (House, Entourage, Office, Top Gear).

For 4:3 videos, I use Cucusoft Ipod Video Converter (hey - same resolution as iphone so it works well!). If you need help with that, let me know and I can post my settings.

Cheers, and good luck. Do NOT give up as this is an absolutely beautiful device to watch videos on. It is definitely worth the time.