Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv
My Carrier: Fido

Possible "paper weight" ???

My son managed to put his hands on a BB Torch 9800 from his friend... he wanted mine for a long time but didn`t give it to him. He used his newly aquired BB for 2 days -Wednesday and Thursday. Friday got home from work and he tells me that the phone is broken.

So, here is what happened - according to him.

The phone had a factory reset done to wipe everything off , before he got it from his friend. Put the SIM card in it and aparently the phone worked fine. Then, the 2nd day, he decides to do a "software update" over the air. When the download was finished, the phone turned off .... and it stayed like that. He pulled the battery repeatedly for a couple of hours even, but the phone wont turn on anymore.

Now, here is what I noticed: if I plug it into my laptop, the phone is being recognized as "New hardware" then a few seconds later as "BlackBerry Smartphone" then "Your hardware is installed and ready to use" however, nothing shows up in "My computer" under "Devices with removable storage".

Without the battery and plugged into my laptop, the phone shows a red light for aprox. 13 - 15 seconds then the light turnes off for about the same amount of time and then the whole things repeats.. With the battery installed, the red light comes on for about 8 seconds then goes off for 8 seconds (aproximately) - totaly regardless if the phone is connected to  the laptop or not.

I tried to see what it does if I open the my BlackBerry Desktop Software. The desktop sofware tells me that the phone has an exausted battery or its rebooting and to click "Retry" once the phone has rebooted. I also get the option to "Update" to fix possible softwate issues. Then it checks for avaiable updates but " There are no updates avaiable".

During all the above mentioned trials, there was no SIM card nor microSD in the phone. 

Thanks for reading and any input / suggestions greatly appreciated

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Possible "paper weight" ???

[ Edited ]

Hello!

The key may be the battery is drained...without some charge in the battery, you can do nothing, even when connected to the PC. So please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain a known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem.

If the Software update didn't complete, then there may actually be no OS on the BB at all right now (when it finally has enough power to boot up, it may display a "507" error)...which will require a reload. Here are some tricks to do that:

• KB27956 How to recover a BlackBerry smartphone from any state
  • KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader

Note that since he did this update OTA and it failed, the on-device backup that was taken is now lost forever...taking with it any data (contacts, calendar, etc.) that he may have entered into the device. If he had no other backup, then he will have to start over completely. For a good backup process to be following, see the link in my auto-sig on this post.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 4, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10, Blackberry Z30, BlackBerry Priv

OK... so yesterday i went and bought a brands new battery for the Torch. Came back and did that 2 hours  - 15 min - 2 hours cycle so I assume the battery is charged ... and brand new. 

So far, I tried the instruction found under KB10144.... but since I have a non functional device, I followed the instructions found under KB20371  but this wouldn`t work either. The procedure under KB20371  assumes that the device is rebooting or it has a dead battery. I do belive that in this case, I have a corrupt sofware and if that`s the case then KB20371 is sending me back to KB10144 

Since non of the above worked I tryed to update directly from the website. So I clicked on "Check for updates" then a "enter password" showed up. Removed battery from the Torch, and connected it to the computer. few sec later, the password window displayed "USB:UNKNOWN". Clicked OK and started checking for sofware but came back to tell me that there is no BB software avaiable .... ok, now what`s next???? 

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAF518), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

[ Edited ]

Please understand that "new" and "known good" are not necessarily the same thing...while rare, a new battery certainly can be defective...the best method to test is to find an identical BB that does not have problems. Trade batteries and see what happens.

Nevertheless, please try the same processes...but rather than using the update website, please instead do this:

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

• You may also again have to do the trick of KB10144, but this time using the installed Desktop Software/OSPackage rather than the update website

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe/reload it is capable of.

Good luck and let us know!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

OK....the Torch is not evencharging the battery! I just realized that last night The light wasn`t flashing as before.... so I took the battery out after doinga 2hours +15 min+2 hours cycle and put it in my torch...> Nothing! So, the defective Torch is not charging the battery. I will recharege the battery with my Torch - assuming its not gatbage after being drained complectly instead of being charged. 

So if the Torch is not even charging the battery, does that change anytrhing? What does this mean?

Hall of Famer III

It likely means that there is something physically wrong with your torch. Physical damage or otherwise, inside of the unit, that is preventing the power from getting from the charger to the battery. As a hardware problem, there is no amount of internet-diagnostics nor software-level repair recommendations that can be of any use. Only in-hand evaluation by a qualified hardware technician can provide you a proper evaluation and estimate.

Good luck!

ok....so the power does go thru the circuit board to give a red flashing light but it doesn`t charge the battery. Hmmm .... wonder what kind of a physical abuse was the phone expose to? Obviously the battery not chargeing, wasn`t caused by the OTA software update assuming that this is what actually happened.

Well, looks like I`ll have to take it apart maybe I can see any signs of physical damage.