Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Developer
My Device: Not Specified

Post from Blackberry Web Developer list

Good afternoon,

Mark Sohm suggested I post the probelms I was having upgrading my OS onto this list, can someone shed some light on a solution? It looks like all the Desktop software installers are running afoul of installation problems on Microsoft's newest OS updates and the currently posted workarounds are not sufficient.

Matt

Ok, I got the same message on 4.3 that i got trying to install 4.2:

Error 1904.Module C:...GW.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

A user would be frustrated enough at this point to just not run our software.

I found a solution at:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f2/how-fix-desktop-manager-error-1904-a-54700/

but it is not something every user would be comfortable performing on their computer.

With all the problems I encountered I don't see upgrading the phone's OS as a viable solution to the problem.

<snip> 

Nice, After installing the software and running through the 'patch' process I get the error:

DllRegisterServer in gq.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80070005

This is not going well.

Matt

New Contributor

Re: Post from Blackberry Web Developer list

[ Edited ]

I have been having the same problem the last few days.  On my work desktop (WinXP x64) I installed the software without hitch, but on my home desktop (WinXP Pro SP3) I also keep getting the error message:

Error 1904.Module C:...GW.dll failed to register. HRESULT -2147220473. Contact your support personnel.

I am also getting the same error message for gwapi.dll, desktopsetup_pb.dll, and syncAE_pb.dll.

I am a very technical person so I had no qualms with trying the crackberry fix you mentioned, but it didn't work.  I was able to register all of the modules, but when I would open up Desktop Manager it would never connect to my Curve 8320 vis USB or Bluetooth.  With Bluetooth it would recognize the phone and it would even pop up a message saying that it had "detected the device".  It would ask if I wanted to connect and I would say yes and then nothing would happen.  Another 30-60 seconds later it would pop up the same message saying it detected my Blackberry and asking if I wanted to connect.  After about the tenth time of this loop I closed out the Desktop Manager.  I uninstalled the software and deleted the program folders and then logged onto the "Administrator" account (my account is also an admin acct, but I logged onto the default admin account that is labeled "Administrator" by Windows).   Upon logging into this account, I attempted to upgrade the Windows Installer 3.1, but it told me that I have a newer version and couldn't do that (WinXP SP3).  So, I registered the atl.dll and tried installing the Desktop Manager software again (I'm installing v4.6 w/ Media Manager).  Once again I got the same error messages.  So I restarted and attempted to manually register the dll's again, and I'm now getting the same error message you were:

DllRegisterServer in gw.dll failed.

Return code was: 0x80070005

I'm starting to get pretty pissed off by all of this and I'm ready to throw the **bleep** Blackberry out the window.  I love the phone and it's capabilities, but if I can't use the capabilities then it's pretty much worthless to me... then I should have just gotten an iPhone or a WinMobile device.  It makes no sense to me that the software will install just fine on my WinXP x64 machine at work and not on my 32-bit home machine.  Usually it's the 32-bit progs on the 64-bit machine that cause problems.  When is a fix going to come?  Here are my details:

BB Curve 8320, OS v4.5.0.52 (Platform 2.7.0.66)

WinXP Pro, Service Pack 3

Pentium 4, 2.80GHz

2GB DD400 Dual-Channel RAM

Message Edited by pebblechamp on 08-30-2008 01:55 PM
New Contributor

On the forum page for the Crackberry Fix someone else is having a similar problem and is also running WinXP, SP3.  It would seem that the problem is with Service Pack 3.  Will an updated installer package be released that is *gasp* actually compatible with Windows?
Highlighted
New Developer

Has anyone else found a solution to this problem?