Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Power on/off, Boot up and Battery Life

I have installed each leaked firmware up through 99 onto my Storm.

90 was the most problematic and 99 was easily the most stable and my favorite so far. However, a big change occurred with my phone when I upgraded to 99 and when I downgraded back to the officially released 75 firmware the changes that had occurred remain. Here is the summary:

Before 99:

Battery life was excellent, even in low signal areas it never drained. Easily lasting all day and then through the night just sitting on my end table.

When I shut down the phone (hold down the red button) it would completely shut down and when I turned it back on it would have to boot up again (white screen/blue bar across bottom). Boot up would take about 30 seconds or so, always less than a minute.

After 99:

Battery life is terrible. Battery drains just sitting on the shelf, won't last through the night. I suspect it is because I have low signal strength in my house, but it NEVER used to do this.

Now when I hold down the red button it still shuts down but when I turn it back on it just pulls up the home screen, no boot up. In fact, the new "shut down" state actually seems to be some kind of "stand by" mode, because the alarm set in the clock still works, even though I turned the phone off. When the alarm kicks in the phone turns back on.

Lastly, bootup takes somewhere around 5 minutes now (used to be less than 1 minute).

Please respond to any of these points. What are your bootup times? Does your storm fully shutdown and need to reboot after holding the red button?

Could some settings have changed in my phone that caused some of these issues and I am just not aware?

Digging through all the options it seems like all my settings are the same, but you never know.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: STORM 9530 on VERIZON 552 kbps

Re: Power on/off, Boot up and Battery Life

summerjack wrote:

I have installed each leaked firmware up through 99 onto my Storm.

90 was the most problematic and 99 was easily the most stable and my favorite so far. However, a big change occurred with my phone when I upgraded to 99 and when I downgraded back to the officially released 75 firmware the changes that had occurred remain. Here is the summary:

Before 99:

Battery life was excellent, even in low signal areas it never drained. Easily lasting all day and then through the night just sitting on my end table.

When I shut down the phone (hold down the red button) it would completely shut down and when I turned it back on it would have to boot up again (white screen/blue bar across bottom). Boot up would take about 30 seconds or so, always less than a minute.

After 99:

Battery life is terrible. Battery drains just sitting on the shelf, won't last through the night. I suspect it is because I have low signal strength in my house, but it NEVER used to do this.

Now when I hold down the red button it still shuts down but when I turn it back on it just pulls up the home screen, no boot up. In fact, the new "shut down" state actually seems to be some kind of "stand by" mode, because the alarm set in the clock still works, even though I turned the phone off. When the alarm kicks in the phone turns back on.

Lastly, bootup takes somewhere around 5 minutes now (used to be less than 1 minute).

Please respond to any of these points. What are your bootup times? Does your storm fully shutdown and need to reboot after holding the red button?

Could some settings have changed in my phone that caused some of these issues and I am just not aware?

Digging through all the options it seems like all my settings are the same, but you never know.

the battery life on my storm was horrible from day one, though it did improve after a few weeks of using, it still didnt last all day with minimal use. even using .99, it wasnt good.

i contacted VZW about this issue last sat and followed there remedy.  called them back sunday because the issue was still there.  the offered to replace my storm, but not the battery as the battery isnt under warranty.

when i received the new storm (only my 2nd one), i loaded .99 and battery life, even with the old battery has been acceptable.  i have had 0 random reboots, and 0 battery pulls.

i would recommend contacting VZW about your issue.

If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

http://www.rimblackberrystorm.webs.com

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks for your input.

I have been following a lot of your posts since you also have also been utilizing all the newest firmware leaks. It's unfortunate that my battery consumption problem is a new issue but frankly my phone has behaved inconsistently in many ways since I first got it.

Based on what you are saying here I agree that my best course of action at this point is to go to Verizon.

Thanks again.

Forums Advisor III
My Device: STORM 9530 on VERIZON 552 kbps

10-4 rubber duckie, good luck

If I or another member have helped, be sure to click the KUDOS!!!

If your issue has been solved, please resolve this thread by marking the post which solved it for you!

4.7.0.122,SLACKER, FaceDial,Poynt, Myspace, Weather Midlet, You Tube, Tiltris, logMaid, Youmail

http://www.rimblackberrystorm.webs.com