Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Predictive text in message mode

My 8330 does not appear to have an "Itap" "I9", or similar predictive text function integrated. I realize there is a user difined dictionary, or the apostraphe insertion, which is automatic, but is there any other way of activating a similar word prediction feature, after entering a couple charaters? If not, what is the best third party software, which incorperates this feature?
Forums Advisor I
My Device: Curve 8900

Re: Predictive text in message mode

Full QWERTY keypad BlackBerry devices won't have the SureType or Predictive Text features of the SureType BlackBerry devices (7100 series and 8100 series). There is AutoText (which is what inserts the apostraphes, etc).
New Contributor
My Device: Curve

I am also curious to know if there is any 3rd party software or an Enable option for predictive text, like on the Plam Treo?  When you type two characters or more, it gives you suggestions to complete that word.

Anyone have any leading information?

--
HeXx
hexx@sprint.
Contributor
My Device: 9000 Bold

I'm confused by this thread. Predictive Text, as I understand the feature as a former Nokia mobile user, is for use with mobile phone number based keypads so that you only have to press, for example, 2, 6, 4 to get the word "cog", instead of 2, 2, 2, 6, 6, 6, 4 which is how you get the same word in non predictive mode. With the full QWERTY keyboard I'd imagine that an autocomplete feature would be a comlete pain give the number of complete word possibilities there are when you type in the first few letters. And then when the word comes up that you want wouldn't you have to stop typing and use the trackball to highlight and select that word which, in most cases, would probably be slower than typing the word in the first place? Or am I misunderstanding?

Steve. 

Take care,

Steve.
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

You are mis-understanding because as it gives you selections on the Treo, usually, it is the first option, so all that would need to be done is click the trackball.  You make it seem a lot more complicated than it really is.  This is why it is an option to the phone, and whether it may be complicated or a waste of time for you, it is not for others. Also, yes, it is a auto complete feature and not so much predictive although it is still predicting what the word you are typing may be. 

My question was not so much asking for a critique but leading information to if this feature is available through a 3rd party?  It works great on the treo, i don't see why it wouldn't on the blackberry.

Message Edited by mrhexx on 07-03-2008 11:45 PM
--
HeXx
hexx@sprint.
Contributor
My Device: 9000 Bold

Apologies if I rubbed you up the wrong way mrhexx, that wasn't my intention, although I confess to offering an opinion on something which I have never tried (so it couldn't be a critique). The main reason that I posted (before slightly digressing) was to clarify what the term Predictive Text meant, bearing in mind that I've only used Nokia phones before and so only know Predictive Text in Nokia parlance, and also because words and phrases used in the States often have different meanings to those same terms over here in the UK.

Steve.

Take care,

Steve.
Highlighted
New Contributor

No hard feelings.  Communication is key.

For the rest of the readers, any valuable information is still welcome and greatly appreciated.

--
HeXx
hexx@sprint.