Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry curve 8900
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Preparing Sync Preview freeze

Breathing a huge sigh of relief - 7 has been removed and 6 (not without a little local difficulty!) downloaded and re-installed.

Normal service has been resumed

Thanks to all you guys at Blackberry / RIM for helping me.............. oh hang on a minute you didn't!!

Thanks forum!

Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: T-Mobile

And I now also managed my problem with the device not being detected by the new (hang on... obviously the old) version 6.1. A hard reboot of the devioce did the job, now all is in sync again.

To whom do I charge the hours spent on this really useless rubbish???

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

My thanks as well to those in the forum who posted links to V6.  Also, with some nail biting and a couple of uninstalls/reinstalls, 6 is up and running just like it used to.  I only wasted a whole day on 7 trying to get it to work.  I think Google or Apple planted a software engineer at RIM to sabotage the company (and put it out of its misery?) with V7. 

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Another bug? 

So I too had the same Sync Preview problem, but indeed after going thru deinstall DM 7, reboot, install DM 7, do a one-way sync, wait for it to complete; it DOES work after that initial long wait.

BUT - another problem - can someone who is on DM 7 confirm?  I put on my Outlook calendars a lot of ALL DAY recurruing annual entries like Birthdays and Anniversaries.  When I did the one way sync (and even after I turned on two way and added a single new one day recurring event to my Outlook calendar), it gets placed into the BB calendar as TWO DAY entries.  For example, a birthday that is on OUTLOOK as a single recurring annual event on Feb 25 gets downloaded to the BB as a TWO Day event and is listed on as both Feb 25 and Feb 26, showing length of time as two days. 

This is unacceptible and even if the sync works now on DM 7, I might have to roll back to DM 6 and redo,.

Can someone else who is on DM  7 try this and confirm? 

Regular Contributor
My Device: Leap; 16GB Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

Yes, the 2 day events (Birthdays, Anniversaries) happened to me.  I didn't do the one-way sync at all; I waited it out and it eventually came around.  I told DM not to update either device (Outlook or phone).  I'm continuing to work through Ver 7 and am running Windows 7 with Outlook 2010.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Z10
My Carrier: Telus

I used the link you posted earlier to get the old version of Desktop Manager--thank you. If I'd been paying attention, I'd have done a system restore point before "upgrading." Instead, I wasted much of my day trying to get v 7.0 working because I'm going out of town today and desperately needed to sync.

Does no one test these things before they're rolled out? I've been a loyal BB user for years now, but this kind of thing just makes me shake my head.  Leslie

Leslie
My Device: torch 9810
My Carrier: att

After spending WAY too much on the phone with ATT and BB about this yesterday (gettting xferred, hung up on, xferred again) the BB genius told me that a fix IS available and proceeded to direct me to these forums.  I advised her that consumers spending their own time to figure out how to get devices working in spite of the manufacturer's defective software is NOT a fix, it's a work around.  A fix is a one click, download this to get working again solution, not a go to this site, read 5,000 posts, and figure out which recommended sequence of steps might work best for you.  Good.  Bye.  Blackberry.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

[ Edited ]

ovgray wrote:

I am another victim of this atrocious breach by Blackberry of its users' faith in its technical competence. After watching the new DM sit there saying "Preparing sync preview" for 45 minutes I clicked the "Cancel" button, but the hang continues, with "Cancelling" in place of "Cancel".

If and when I get the use of my device and computer back from this flawed software, I'll give some thought to when (not if) I abandon my BB for some other product from an organization that has not lost its way.

UPDATE:

I killed the process, rebooted, uninstalled DM7 including user prefs, rebooted, downloaded DM7 from the Blackberry site, and installed it.

Then did one way sync (Outlook 2007 to device), with "replace all entries on your device with entries from your computer" checked. No apparent problem.

Then I did a two way sync, syncing the computer (Outlook) entries with the entries that DM7 created from them on the device. Waited 13 minutes at the "Preparing sync preview" stage.

Then this new sync software wanted to make changes to entries on the device and to the corresponding entries on the computer   -- again, the entries on the device are entries the sync software created from entries on the computer. Did that. Then the device and computer both had duplicates to which the sync software continued to want to do this to again.

What seems to have happened is that in creating the device entries from the computer entries the software added three blank lines above the last line of the address in each of five contacts (as seen in the Outlook version of the entry). Then on the next pass it saw the entry on the device as different from the one on the computer, and vica versa, and wanted to duplicate each.

I went through successive syncs trying to bat down these duplicates. In one pass it did the extra 3 lines thing to another contact that had been fine the first time, and I had to bat down the resulting duplicates for that contact too.

It seems to have calmed down now. I've gone through a couple of syncs without the software creating duplicates with extra lines in them. But the experience leaves me concerned that there is some flakiness here that may bite me again.

Looks like the object of this exercise was to remove from DM the intellisync code for which Blackberry presumably has to pay licensing fees, and replace it with something else that by all accounts is less reliable.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Rogers

Meanwhile, the "Official Twitter support account of Research in Motion," @BlackberryHelp, is tweeting about how to use a Blackberry as a flashlight. How ironic.

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

How in the world is the issue marked as 'Solved'.  Are you kidding me?!?!!?  Un-freaking believable!!!  I am so unbelievably upset by this whole fiasco.  Now I'm trying to figure how much it's going to cost me to switch to an iPhone, Android, or a Windows phone...  NOT what I want or need to be doing right now!

Any response at all RIM????????????????????????????????????????????????

Anything?

You could start by acknowleding the issues...   Hello??????????????????