Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Preparing Sync Preview freeze

Amen!
Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: "Preparing Sync Preview" freeze

I keep hearing about Droids and iPhones,  How about WindowsPhon edevices?  I would assume that syncing to and front Outlook should be a slam dunk in terms of what they support, although I know nothing about them.  Thoughts?:

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 / Playbook
My Carrier: ATT

I bought a Windows phone last summer thinking it would be easy to sync with Outlook, but it was a nightmare!  I took the phone back and got my Torch.

I updated DM and got the preparing sync preview freeze, so I uninstalled it and reinstalled the older version.  Now when I check for updates, it says there are none.  I guess they pulled it for now...good call.

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

As an interesting little head-scratcher, Microsoft Windows Mobile does not sync Outlook Notes or Tasks natively.  For Notes, you need to use OneNote to sync with your Windows Mobile Phone.  For Tasks, you have to manage and sync your Tasks through Windows Live. 

If you don't like those two solutions, you can use some of the same third-party solutions as Android phones, like CompanionLink. 

Bizarre but true!  Uncle Google says so!

In my book, if you're going to use a third-party app, you may as well go Android. 

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9788 6.0 Bundle 2939 (v6.0.0673, Platform 1.0.0.142)
My Carrier: China Mobile

Are you saying, you sync your BB with Google directly without using the desktop application?

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

Gidday JC

jcliebeskind wrote:

Are you saying, you sync your BB with Google directly without using the desktop application?

Personally and professionally, I would not trust either Google or Facebook with any of my information.

Nor any other "social networking" type of site. I would be in breach of numerous Acts of Parliament here were I to do such a thing.

Using "Cloud" backup is in about the same boat, in my books.

ALL of these things involve placing faith and trust in companies that one has not the slightest rational basis for placing such faith and trust in.

Just IMNSHO, of course ...

Contributor
My Device: Playbook 64G
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Solved or not solved

schatzp wrote:

Hey folks,

We can complain until the cows come home, but for now we have a solution.  Roll back to v6 and there are several links in this thread to where to get the software.

Until RIM owns up to the problem with v7, patches or fixes v7, that is all there is.

Everything else is a waste of time!

It is now up to RIM and if they do not already know, they never will.

I started this thread, got help within 12 hours, and now consider it over.

Sorry, but it is time to move on.

Peter

I cant even get either 7 or 6 to run so you move on ! Installing trashed something....  ITS NOT SOLVED  not by a long shot.

Contributor

Re: Solved or not solved

schatzp wrote:

To mtbright

Hi .... try the following after the unistall

- uninstall BB desktop

- reboot into Safe Mode

- restore to the day before you installed BB v7

- reboot into normal Win

- if BB desktop is there it likely will NOT work properly

- unitall BB desktop

- reinstall BB v6

- configure what you want to synchronize

There is an excellent chance it will all work fine.

I'll look for your comments ....and good luck

DOES NOT WORK !!

Contributor

Re: From a Crackberry post today at 1:05PM

schatzp wrote:

Just found this:

BlackBerry Technical Solution Center

When attempting to synchronize PIM data (contacts, calendars, memos, tasks) with BlackBerry® Desktop Software 7.0, for the first time after updating, the synchronization process appears to freeze at the Preparing sync preview screen. In some circumstances this process can take over an hour to complete, but eventually the operation will succeed.
Environment

BlackBerry® Desktop Software 7.0 (Windows)
DT2496224

Resolution
This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. A resolution will be provided as soon as possible.

Hey !!!  did you read all the treads?  Its not just the fact that you cant sync....  the dam software crashes on startup and installing 6 does not work either....  It also crashes on startup... NO DESKTOP MANAGER working on my computer.

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: From a Crackberry post today at 1:05PM

badge56 wrote:

Resolution
This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. A resolution will be provided as soon as possible.

Hey !!!  did you read all the treads?  Its not just the fact that you cant sync....  the dam software crashes on startup and installing 6 does not work either....  It also crashes on startup... NO DESKTOP MANAGER working on my computer.

Last night I tried the "patient approach" suggested by BB's Technical Solution Center. After 2 hours, the synchronization process was still frozen at the Preparing sync preview screen. So, I went to bed and let it run overnight for a full 12 hours. 

I confirm it was successful at synchronizing one way (from pc to device), after 12 hours, but as soon as I changed the sync option back to 2 way, it froze again and the desktop manager crashed and is no longer functional. The same happens when I try to revert back to v6. So, I'm in the same boat as badge56...