02-18-2012 11:34 AM
1) Uninstall all BB Desktop Mgr software. (I even used CCleaner file and registry cleaner to scrape all remains out of the file system and the registry).
2) Browse on your computer to the "C:\Users\your_profile\AppData\Roaming\Research in Motion\Blackberry Desktop" folder. Delete the entire contents of this folder (but not the Blackberry Desktop folder itself).
3) Delete the "C:\Program Files\Research in Motion" folder (on 32bit) or the "C:\Program Files (x86)\Research in Motion" folder (on 64bit)
4) Install Blackberry Desktop Manager 610_b038 (not sure where you can find this now, I had saved this from a download last year).
5) Connect your device and quickly cancel any attempts at syncing.
6) Set Desktop Mgr to NOT automatically update.
7) Go into the Organizer settings and set up your Outlook sync options to what you want.
8) Disconnect your BB
9) Reboot your PC, pull the battery from your phone to reboot it.
10) Once computer and phone are back up, connect your BB to your computer and let the sync run (or start a manual sync).
Give this a try.
02-18-2012 11:36 AM
02-18-2012 03:11 PM
Since BlackBerry customer service disconnected me twice (and had no clue what I was talking about anyway), I contacted Verizon customer service and the Verizon guy in Mankato, Minnesota was extraordinary. He wasn't aware of the problem as yet (told him to alert Verizon, even at this late date) BUT he then checked his own on-line resources as well as his access to RIM's on-line support.
He then directed me to do the following:
As the Verizon customer service guy told me, be sure you've deleted the current desktop manager BEFORE doing the download. The earlier (and properly working) version of desktop software downloaded in about a minute and to my surprise and relief instantly had the correct ID for my BlackBerry Bold 9930 and even had the synchronization settings correct, although I re-checked them to be sure.
And then with much trepidation, I clicked on "Synch" and to my great happiness, everything worked fine (again). The system properly identified all the changes in recent days (with a few requests to confirm some stuff) and I'm now back to normal.
Now why couldn't BlackBerry have sent out or posted a notice to do this until they had the newer version fixed? You'd think after all the bad press, they could at least have done this one right. Thanks, Verizon, for filling in for the manufacturer.
02-18-2012 04:39 PM
Some clarifications to my posting about two hours ago.
During the process while Windows was uninstalling the desktop manager, I got a question whether I also wanted to delete data. Not knowing what all the implications would be, I did NOT check the box to also delete related data.
On the BlackBerry/RIM page headed BlackBerry Desktop Software for PC, ignore the highly featured item at the very top “Sync your BlackBerry smartphone with your PC” followed by a very visible “download” button. As I said in the second to last bullet, scroll to the BOTTOM of that page for “download earlier versions of BlackBerry Desktop Software for PCs.”
In my last bullet in my prior posting, I said “take it from there.” I probably should have been clearer: You only need to download the first of the items listed there: “Desktop Software v6.1.0 B38 (Multilanguage).” Ignore the rest. In fact, I suspect the rest concerning device manager might only get you into trouble again but don’t know for sure.
02-18-2012 05:43 PM
I have the BB Bold 9650 and received the "Preparing Sync Preview" message which prevented syching. On Tuesday, Verizon said they were unaware of the problem. I then spoke to BB which said they notified Verizon that morning. BB said they were working on the problem and to check back in five days. Yesterday, after BB put 6.0 version back on its website, I un-installed 7.0 and installed 6.0 and can now synch fine.
This problem prone release was a big mistake from a company that can ill afford a misstep. It's unfortunate that BB could not have communicated with its users about the problem rather than leaving everyone to try to figure it out on their own.
02-18-2012 08:50 PM
02-19-2012 03:45 AM
I didn't wait for the 7.0 sync to go through after 10 minutes or so. I do see that some people have been able to sync the first time after waiting a few hours. I just didn't do that and didn't know at the time but it does seem a bit strange to have to wait a few hours, etc. But the 6.0 seems to be working fine.
02-19-2012 05:04 AM
Desktop Manager Version 7 does not work and Blackberry RIM have taken it off their website. See my solution on the post afer yours
Have just updated to Blackberry Desktop 188.8.131.52 and am using a Bold 9780
The synchronization process fails, stalls, freezes at the Preparing Sync Preview step.
Have done the following:
- removed and reinstalled Desktop software
- rebooted PC and the phone
Using Dell i7 PC with 12 gig ram Win 7 64 bit with all updates installed.
Any suggestions would be appreciated