04-08-2014 07:00 AM
Up till approx one month ago my Blackberry 8520 always synced successfully with Outlook 2010 on my PC. It now freezes when carrying out a sync at "converting Blackberry Calendar Data (read 200 records)".
I have allowed the process to run for three hours, but the operation still not completed in that time.
I have updated B;lackberry Desktop Software to latest 7.1.0.B042.
The phone (with Virgin) is on saftware version 5 Bundle 1168 (v126.96.36.1991.platform 188.8.131.52)
What can I do to solve this problem and how do I do it?
I am not a "Tech person" so any resolution would need to be explained in simple English.
Desperatley needing your help.
PS i note that this problem was occuring to others in 2012 so hopfully it can quickly be resolved.
Solved! Go to Solution.
04-08-2014 09:37 AM
To anybody who might be having this type of problem and after about 25 hours and various attempts to resolve the problem, I think I have sorted it out.
What I did:-
Connected BB device to PC/desktop software, went to Delete on main panel, sellected calendar data and deleated all calendar data files.
I then selected sync organizer, and it syncranised without any problem.
I conclude that it therefore must have been a crupted fie in device calendar data that was causing hang up.