Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Privacy & security issue while using BES and BIS

I have a BB from work which is supported by an Enterprise Blackberry Server. I also have a personal yahoo & gmail accounts that I have set up on my BB device. My concerns are:

1. Are my yahoo & gmail emails being routed through the enterprise server or it comes directly from my phone service provider
  2. If it is routed by my BES, does that pose any privacy issues for my private email?
  3. Is there a way to protect personal information when the data is routed through the company BES system

Frankly, I dont want my work people to ever see my personal yahoo or gmail emails. That is why I am asking these questions.

Thanks a ton!!

Super Contributor
My Device: 9850 Torch
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: Privacy & security issue while using BES and BIS

help420 wrote:

I have a BB from work which is supported by an Enterprise Blackberry Server. I also have a personal yahoo & gmail accounts that I have set up on my BB device. My concerns are:

1. Are my yahoo & gmail emails being routed through the enterprise server or it comes directly from my phone service provider
  2. If it is routed by my BES, does that pose any privacy issues for my private email?
  3. Is there a way to protect personal information when the data is routed through the company BES system

Frankly, I dont want my work people to ever see my personal yahoo or gmail emails. That is why I am asking these questions.

Thanks a ton!!

Hello.

1. No, they are not being routed thru the BES.  They are going directly do your device via the PIN and ESN that you entered when you set up your BIS account.

2. See #1

3. See #1

If you're that concerned about your personal data, maybe you should consider getting your own device.  That what I did (and I am the BES Admin).

If you find a post here helpful, please consider giving the poster some Kudos
Highlighted
Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

I've answered your questions in BOLD in line with them ...

help420 wrote:

1. Are my yahoo & gmail emails being routed through the enterprise server or it comes directly from my phone service provider - If the messages you send from your HH have you yahoo / gmail address as the from address they are not being routed through your BES but rather directly through BIS.
  2. If it is routed by my BES, does that pose any privacy issues for my private email? - If it is routed by your BES, I would think that would pose some privacy issues as any mail going through a BES can logged / tracked and all content copied.
  3. Is there a way to protect personal information when the data is routed through the company BES system.  You would need to use some 3rd party encryption program that enrypts the message on the HH before it gets sent to the BES.

>> Understandable ... that said, if you're on a BES, and you're not the BES Admin, should should assume that everything you do is tracked / logged.  If you're not sure ... you could always ask.

Thanks a ton!!

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/
My Device: Not Specified

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Forums Veteran II
My Device: Bold

juwaack68

^^^ not a man.

------------------------------
If you've found a solution through a post; please mark it as a solution.
If someone's was particularly helpful, give them kudo's!.

Get busy living, or get busy dying.

http://blog.port3101.org/hdawg/