Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9700
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Problem: AppWorld 1.1.0.35 Icon Disappeared After Update

[ Edited ]

gumuk wrote:

Blackberry 9700 Bold

02-UK

Platform 5.1.0.116
Lost Icon after update.

Deleted BB App World from app list

Re-installed and still no icon

no device update available according to BDM

Whoa! you have a pretty old software version on you 9700!

Update via the latest version of BDM V5.0.0.1 and you'll find it all works!

or here is a link for software update for you 9700

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/devices/#tab_tab_update

HTH

Steve

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

FYI - Additional observations based on my own experience during this ordeal.  It seems that depending on the method/source chosen for the BBAW update one may end up with one or two modules for the app.

From your desktop, with device connected via USB, using IE and via Active X components:

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/appworld/download.jsp

versus

from your BB device:  www.blackberry.com/appworld/download

you may end up with ONE BB Appworld module (via the web/desktop download) versys TWO  (net_rim_bb_appworld and net_rim_bb_appworld_resource_en).  The app name will not show up as being downloaded/install properly via the desktop installation (active x) after the reboot takes effect.    AppWorld shows as being installed 1.1.0.35..no icon as mentioned ad nauseum.

Have not tried a full wipe YET...

Model: 9700

Carrier: ATT

Platform Version: 5.1.0.112

Application Version: 5.0.0.405

BBDM - 5.0.1.37

Components:

Device Communications:

Blackberry Device Manager: 5.0.1.16

BBDevMgr: 4.1.0.14

Application Loader

Application Loader: 5.0.1.52

RIMProgram: 1.0.0.35

No Updates found with the BBDM.

New Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: Vodafone

I did as JSanders stated, maybe I did something wrong, but now I've lost all my applications after the reload... Should have waited for a proper fix to come out.

Still no AppWorld either.

Any advice on how I might be able to get the Apps back?

Contributor
My Device: Tour 9630 OS 5.0.0.591
My Carrier: Verizon

JSanders didn't include the caution about "back up your third party apps separately." Desktop Manager's backup is DATA ONLY, not apps. I wrote up a fairly detailed blog post on how to back up third party apps.

http://thegraygeek.blogspot.com/2010/04/more-blackberry-shenanigans.html

That's not going to help you now, though. You can download the apps you paid for from App World (since you should get the icon back). But the free ones you downloaded, you're going to have to download again.

For the future, a FULL backup is to backup the data, and then in a separate step, back up your third party apps. I'm sorry for your pain now. Smiley Sad

So this all makes sense. That's why it worked for me and rado-steve when we had updates to the core system software. Because that does a WIPE of the system and then restores all your apps and data. So yeah, doing a security wipe WILL fix it. Just be **bleep** sure you back up your APPS as well as your data.

Good luck, folks. Smiley Happy I'm going to stop monitoring this thread now, since there is a workaround and I'm sure a fix is in the works to prevent it from happening elsewhere.

New Contributor

• Your specific device model number: Bold 9700
  • Your specific carrier: Qtel
  • Your country: Qatar 
  • Your specific device OS level (all 4 octets, found on Homescreen > Options > About, the third line of information, and it will look something like "v5.0.0.419 (Platform 4.2.0.179)": v5.0.0.593 (Platform 5.1.0.147) 
  • Confirmation of the fact that you have indeed attempted the above clean removal and re-installation of the latest version of AppWorld.: Yes 
  • Confirmation of the version number for AppWorld that shows on your installed applications list (Homescreen > Options > (Advanced Options on some OS levels) > Applications): 1.1.0.33 
  • Confirmation that you have thoroughly searched your BB for the icon (no hidden, searched all sub folders, etc.): Yes
  • New Contributor
    My Device: Storm 9530

I attempted the desktop install no joy in Mudville.  Each time the Storm shutsdown about halfway thru the dload.  Any other ideas?

Giovanni

New Contributor

mlautens thanks for the info. I had no idea about the need to back-up third party apps separately.

For clarification, the wipe did NOT fix the problem for me.

Solutions: 6,358
    My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

mlautens wrote:

JSanders didn't include the caution about "back up your third party apps separately." Desktop Manager's backup is DATA ONLY, not apps. I wrote up a fairly detailed blog post on how to back up third party apps.

Correct, you can backup your third party apps, but in my experience it is not necessary to do so for a security wipe. A Security Wipe will most often leave third party apps intact. It will remove personal data from apps, such as calendar, contacts, messages, SMS, and preferences.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
    2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
    3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
    4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
    Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
    BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
    PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
    Knowledge Base Updates
    PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
    New Contributor

JSanders, I made the mistake of ticking the 'delete applications' box too. My own fault. I thought Apps had been backed up too.

New Contributor
    My Device: Bold 9650
    My Carrier: Sprint

I can confirm that upgrading via BDM software to the latest version than installing the application from http://blackberry.com/appworld has successfully upgraded it from *.33 to *.35 as well the Icon is in its proper position and visible.

Carrier: Sprint

Just fire up BDM.  Do a backup of all data, and also do a backup of all data when doing the upgrade.  Once the phone has restarted point the BB browser to http://blackberry.com/appworld and install the upgrade.  It has worked for me and it should prove successful for others.

Good luck!