Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problem With Alarm Clock and Ringtones

Two nights ago i set my alarm for 5:00am on my Blackberry Storm2.  The next morning the alarm did not go off.  When i checked the phone i tested the ringtone associated with the alarm and it came back with an error message that said the phone could not find the ring tone.  I then noticed that all ring tones did not work, my phone did not ring when called, the phone also did not make any alert sounds.  I tried several different ring tones and I received all the same messages. 

I did a battery pull on my phone and that seemed to fix all the issues so I did not thing anything of it.  I tried it again this morning and the same thing.  I did not do the battery pull this morning as I was going to leave the errors on the phone to bring back to Verizon.  I even tried calling the phone this morning and it would not ring or sound any alerts.  All of a suddent about 3 hours later my phone starting ringing from a phone call and alll the ring tones started working

I have not added any ring tones to my phone all of these ring tones are the factory installed ones.  Both nights I have the phone on my dresser face down and not attached to any charging wires.  I did add music to my media card 2 days ago using the ITunes Snyc but have not created any ring tones at all.

Would anyone know what is causing this issue?

Would anyone have any idea what would be causing this.

Re: Problem With Alarm Clock and Ringtones

I'm having the same problem! Every dang ringer says "Invalid Ring Tone Selected, please make another selection." I even went to the media folder and tried to play them but it says "An error has occurred attempting to play media."

This is extremely frustrating. Support: Please post a resolution to this!

New Contributor

For what it is worth i found the problem was when i placed my phone face down on the table at night.  Since i stopped doing that I have found that the issue has gone away.  Not exactly sure why would assume it has something to do with the mechanisim that know which way you are holding the phone but i guess upside down is not good over a long period of time.

My Device: World Edition 8830
My Carrier: Verizon

I hope someone will post a solution to this problem.  I have been having problems with the alarms and ringtones in the past and missed working out twice this week.  I've searched the internet and this forum, and just signed up as a member, and found this problem is very common.  There doesn't seem to be a good fix.  I will pull the battery, but I just did that last Saturday to address another problem.  I'd appreciate hearing from anyone who has found a permanent fix to this!  My phone is always face up. 

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

in my opinion this is a media cache issue.

activate Mass Storage mode and connect your device to your PC.

using the Explorer of the PC, view the Storm's two harddrives and especially the hidden files. You should see a file named BBThumbs.dat in every folder that contains a media file. Delete all those BBThumbs.dat files.

those files are media cache, and they may sometimes get corrupt. Deleting them will force the Media Manager to recreate the cache entirely.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: Telus

When you go to play a media file, does it say 'cannot play media while voice dialing is in use'  or something like that?    mine did,..    I also could not pick a media file and press 'try it',... it gave error 'invalid ringtone selected' error.    

I had recently added bluetooth headset.  disabling bluetooth and restarting the phone seemed to fix my issue, i could play media files, and could choose the 'try it' on clock options, alarm and it would then play my alarm sound...

My Device: 9800 Torch, OS v6.0.0.246
My Carrier: ATT

Deleting a couple of the BBThumbs.dat files (in two of my albums) corrected my ringtones and music.  Like someone else, I had left my phone face down last night and it did not ring all day.  I have a 9800 Torch.

My Device: Blackberry Storm2 9550

The problem that I've been experiencing is that my alarm clock will play a different ringtone than the one I have selected.  And it always plays the same one.  But when I go into the settings and press "Try it" it plays the correct song.  I'm not getting any error messages, it just plays the wrong song!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

can you explain how you configure the ringtone step by step ?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
My Device: Blackberry Storm2 9550

I go into the clock, select full menu, options, and then change the alarm tune.  But I haven't touched the settings in a while and it just started doing this a couple of weeks ago.  It only does it when I'm actually using it as an alarm in the morning, though.  If I change the alarm time for a minute from now to test it, it plays the right tone.