Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Problem booting my storm. red led when charging.

HI, i just got my BB 9530. and it suddenly turned off while using it. i thought it was that my battery drained since it was pretty low. but, when i plugged the charger all i get is a red led that lights up for about 7 seconds, turns off and then does the same again and again.

i tried removing the battery a couple of times. but, the first 2 or 3 times it started booting and then turned off and later it stopped responding all together after i put the battery in. 

so the only activity i get from it is when i connect the charger and it gives me that red light.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH505), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Problem booting my storm. red led when charging.

[ Edited ]

Hi and Welcome!

If your battery was indeed fully drained, then you need to leave it charging for a bit (not sure how long) for it to get up to the minimum charge level. Try leaving it charging for an hour or so and then trying to bring it back up.

Message Edited by sdgardne on 02-11-2009 09:23 AM

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

thank you. i left it charging for a while ( 3 or 4 hours) and i still ended up with the same problem.

i then tried putting a new battery and it turned on perfectly. however, when i started charging that new battery i noticed that it was not charging at all. the green led flashed like it is supposed to. but, my battery went from 10% to 5% and then it turned off completly.

Contributor

Hello,

give it a proper 8 - 10 hour charge if problem persists return device and exchange for a BB bold, I have had similar problems with my storm nightmare to be honest my friend has the bold and what can I say it is unbelievable.

the old saying if it works dont fix it!!

the problem here is so many storms have problems and they cant fix them!!

New Contributor

thanks for the advice. i left it charging the whole night and still no progress. my guess is it has something to do with the usb port.  does anyone has any other advice ?? cause for me changing the phone isnt a valid solution. thanks

Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

If the phone is new, take it back.  You're clearly having a problem with the phone, whether it's the battery or the phone itself.  They will simply exchange it for a new one and you can do a device switch to take all the data and device settings of the one phone to put it on the new one.

You don't need to go to a different phone (e.g. the Bold), just exchange your current Storm for another Storm.  It is normal for a certain percentage of all phones to have such issues, but unfortunately for you, it had to be your phone.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

thank you again. i have been retracing my steps to see if i can find something i did to trigger this. and i actually think i might have come up with a reasonable cause for this. however, i dont know if it is possible and i would need for someone more knowledgable than me to confirm this.

i remember that before the problem started i tried connencting the device to my pc. however, i couldnt. my pc didnt recognize it. it said usb decive malfunction and that the device was not recognized. befor i connected it i had made a fresh install of the latest desktop manager downloaded from blackberry.com.

is it possible that somehow the phone's usb was somehow disconfiguered when i connected it and that is why im having this problem??? 

if this is a possiblity is there a way i can fix this???

thank again for all the help guys

ps: i cant simply change my storm. i live in venezuela and i bought it from verizon. so, i would have to wait until i go back to the USA in order to do that. thank for the suggestion anyway.

Message Edited by cerminy on 02-16-2009 02:45 PM
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

It could be possible I suppose, but I don't know how I'd suggest fixing it if that is indeed the case Smiley Frustrated.

I'd suggest trying to connect to another computer, but if it won't charge with the actual charger, I'm not sure how far you'll get with this.

If you can, see if you can at least get it to connect via bluetooth if your computer is bluetooth enabled or if you can try a bluetooth dongle.

In the meantime, if the phone does work, but you just can't get it to charge, try using an external battery charger.  This is one available for the Storm battery (see here).  While it isn't an ideal solution, it'll at least ensure you have a battery that works, and it'll give you more chances to try using the suggestions that have been provided (you'll need a full (or close to) to try to connect to any computer again.

I know the suggestions are a bit all over (bluetooth connections, trying other computers, using an external battery charger), but hopefully you get a bit of luck with one of these things.  And if you can get your phone to connect to a computer via USB, try wiping the phone using a program like JL_CMDER and reinstall your operating system (only do this after backing up your data, and do it at your own risk).

Keep us posted on what, if anything works, and we can try to move from there.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=BlackBerryDesktopSoftware&thread.id=3...
HOWTO : use your blackberry as a USB device

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

thanks. i was thinking something around the same lines. i already found the battery charger. but, i wont be able to buy it until next week. the bluetooth idea is perfect. that might do the trick in order to fix it. or at least allow me to connect the phone to my pc. it is less than ideal but it is better than having a dead phone in a drawer.

as soon i get the charger ill write back with my results.

thank you