11-17-2010 01:50 PM
I have been using BlackBerry phones for several years without problems. I'm new to the community forum because now I have problems synchronizing my Outlook contacts. Using version 184.108.40.206, which I just updated today after reading some of the sync problems others are having. Outlook version is 2003 SP3; computer operating system is Windows XP Pro version 2002 SP3 [yes, I know this is kind of an old setup, but new stuff costs a lot!]. So, here is what happens when I try to synchronize Outlook: the calendar, tasks and notes all do fine; however, when the contacts are being synchronized, it stops at about contact number 1928 (out of 1987), and gives an Intellisync error code 0x80043ac9 and says to look at the documentation. It neglects to say what documentation or where it can be found, so that is no help.
So, any good ideas for this problem?
11-17-2010 01:58 PM
Hi and Welcome to the Forums!
Unfortunately, the public KB's don't come up with a result for that particular error code. Hence, the only thing I can advise you to try is to activate advanced logging:
Hopefully the log files will better guide you to the offending record.
As I recall (this won't be perfect), I believe that if you export from Outlook to CSV, the order those records are in will be identical to the order the synchronization uses...which will be different from what you see in your Outlook interface (since it sorts them by whatever method you've chosen). This might further help you to find the offending record.
11-18-2010 06:42 PM
Thanks, Guru. However, the problem is not yet resolved. I followed the instructions of the KB file listed, and saw the new advanced logs, but have not had time to dig down to find the offending records. I thought I had found one record that was a problem, and then deleted that one plus the ones before and after (total of 3) on both the PC and on the 8310. That did not solve the problem. I ran out of time to review the logs again and see if I find any other problems showing up. This seems like a good start, though, and with luck may work!
11-23-2010 05:45 PM
I had the same error code. Bold 9700, Outlook 2007 and BB Desktop Software v 220.127.116.11. I first re-booted my PC - that didn't work. Then I did a battery pull on my blackberry. I tried to sync it again and it worked perfectly. Hard to believe it was that simple, but it really did work for me. Good luck.
11-23-2010 06:12 PM
I am getting the error on a replacement Storm 9530 error code 0x80040fb3, I downloaded the latest version of the desktop, I went through my contacts to see if anything odd. But I can only add 49 out 300 to my phone. How do you fix this problem.