Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Pearl 8120
My Carrier: AT&T

Problem syncing using Bluetooth

Hi all - 

I have run into a frustrating problem trying to sync my Pearl 8120 (on AT&T) using Bluetooth, and I am hoping that some of the experts here might be able to help.

I am able to pair my Pearl with my computer (running XP) using the standard Bluetooth Devices menu in the Control Panel.  However, if I run the Blackberry Device Manager, and choose to enable Bluetooth and Add A Device, it searches for a while and then tells says "Verify that the Bluetooth enabled device is configured for use with the Blackberry Desktop Software.  For more information, contact your administrator".  

I'm not sure what this means exactly, as it doesn't say that it can't find my device, but it says to make sure it is configured for use with BB Desktop.  Any ideas?  

Just to complicate matters - I had been running this Pearl to sync with an Enterprise Server.  However, we shut down the server and it is no longer operational.  Thus, I want to be able to use a Bluetooth Sync to download the contacts/calendar/notes to my computer.  Unfortunately the USB port has died and I have been told that it is not repairable.

So I am in a bit of a jam here - any help is appreciated!

Thanks.

Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Problem syncing using Bluetooth

Hello JB969,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

You need to make sure that you are using the supported Bluetooth drivers. You also want to make sure that you are installing the software as an administrator. The error you are receiving can indicate issues with permissions on your PC.

Here is a knowledge base article on how to set up Bluetooth connectivity between a BlackBerry smartphone and BlackBerry Desktop Manager.

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB04132

Thank you

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thanks Dr. P -

I am aware of the issues with drivers and have tried both the WIDCOMM 32bit (I am using Desktop Manager 5.0), and the generic Microsoft drivers.  They both give me the same problem.

I have read the article you referred to before - the one thing I have not confirmed is the policy settings to Disable Desktop Connectivity and Disable Wireless Bypass.  Since we have taken down the BES, I can no longer change them.  I am wondering that if our BES had those policies set to TRUE, would that effectively stop me from connecting to DM using Bluetooth?  If so, is there any way for me to "unpair" the phone from the BES given that the BES is no longer running?

Retired
My Device: 9000, 9500
My Carrier: Rogers

Hi,

To correct this issue you would need to remove the IT policy from your BlackBerry smartphone.

To do this we would need to back up the BlackBerry smartphone. Please open the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and connect your BlackBerry smartphone. Click on the Backup and Restore button and select Back Up. Please note the location where the backup is being saved as we will need to access it later to restore the BlackBerry smartphone.

Once you have backed up your BlackBerry smartphone please follow the link below to remove the IT policy from your BlackBerry smartphone

Link: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB14202

This will remove the IT policy and correct your issue

Thanks

-DrP

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Thanks again Dr. P - 

Unfortunately this solution cannot work either, as I unable to backup my Blackberry.  If I could, I wouldn't need to disable the policies!  So it looks like I may be entirely out of luck as I need to backup my Blackberry in order to enable Bluetooth backups, but I cannot backup without Bluetooth.  Catch-22.