Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Problem upgrading device software

Hi all

I have a Blackberry 8310. It originally had AT&T service, but now it has T-Mobile. It is unlocked and currently runs software

I am trying to upgrade to 4.5. I downloaded the software from T-mobile, here for the 8320. They don't have 8310 software, and I was told it shouldn't make a difference:

I followed the instructions for here:

(I tried method 1 and method 2)

However it won't install no matter what I do. I even tried to use CrackMem.

I get to step 6 on method 2 for example, but am never prompted to install the upgrade. When I look in the App Loader on BB Desktop under Update Apps or Install New Apps, the software upgrade is never there.

Any idea why the upgrade doesn't want to install? Is it because the phone is ex-AT&T?

One more thing - it was originally hooked up to BES and so had an IT Policy on it. I wiped that by using Method 2 here:

Any help would be appreciated.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Problem upgrading device software

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Whoever told you the software and model didn't matter, told you wrong.

Okay, 8320 software loading in to a 8310, picture a StarTrek transporter room accident...same results. 

Go to the AT&T software download site and get the correct device OS for the 8310.

When you go to install it you will remove the vendor.XML file. That step is listed in your procedure

I have the download site and version number for you at the bottom of the post.

When you initiate the device OS software download from AT&T, save the file to disk, don't execute it.

When the download is complete, then go to the directory on the PC you loaded it to and execute the

self extracting file. The software will install in the correct directories in the desktop manager files

so the application loader will find it. 

Now starting at step one of the FAQ procedure follow each step exactly as written.

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.5.0.152 (Multilanguage)
Package Version:
Consisting of:

• Applications:
  • Software Platform:
  • File name: 8310M_PBr4.5.0_rel152_PL2.7.0.90_A4.5.0.110_AT&T.exe
  • File size: 89.91MB

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Thanks, I will give that a try.

It was actually Blackberry support who told me (on the phone) that 8320 software should work on an 8310. He also said that not all software would work for a particular provider, so before I install it, I just want to make sure that I'd continue to be able to use T-Mobile after I install AT&T 4.5 software.

My Device: 2A0D6864 curve 9220
My Carrier: nino

My key license