Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Torch
My Carrier: Bell

Re: Problem with Large Data Usage on My Bell Bill

Hi.

I just got off the phone with Bell about a similar problem.

Yesterday I heard my torch buzzing in my purse and realized that the battery was completely dead. I thought it was a little odd since I had charged it all night and it was only few hours into the day when I heard it buzzing.

This morning I checked my usage and it shows that yesterday morning I "used" 500MB.

I don't watch videos on my bb and barely use over 100MB a month since I have it connected to my WiFi at home most of the time... and I am sure that I was even touching my bb when I was supposedly using the 500MB.

Is it possible that certain apps download updates automatically? Even when the phone is in one of those bb leather case?

Thanks.

Regular Contributor
My Device: LEAP and Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: AT&T

There seems to be a major problem with these enormous data usages at the end user. Not just BB but also Android devices. Many subscribers are experiencing apps using data while they sleep f.ex. 3:16 AM several nights consecutively. Very unexplainable.

The best solution is begin deleting some if not all of your downloaded apps you added to your device after purchase. This way you can try to find the app eating data. It also can be another app you've signed up for f.ex. navigation, twitter etc.

Another possibility is turn off wifi when not in use or during your sleep hours. Even turning off your phone at night can help.

Contact your service provider to have the enormous data usage removed from your account. I know AT&T has been excellent with their customers concernng these problems. Post your solution to the problem and be sure to give kudos. 

Super Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Vodafone Qatar

As I said before, My Solution was to do a complete Wipe as been asked by Vodafone Qatar, re install only the apps I need and make sure the Custom APN in settings is disabled or set to blackberry.net

That fixed it.
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: bell

I've just had a similar problem.  I only use my blackberry for work purposes -- so email, calendar etc.  I don't even have a single app installed.  In my second month of using the torch I had a 3 day period where 3 gigs were used.  My typical month in the past was 7 to 9 meg! 

After getting details of when the usage occured it appears to match perfectly with when large attachments came into my email account.  Even though I had not opened any of those attachments, it shows that I downloaded that amount.   So for example when my device turns on automatically in the morning and catches up on all the email through the night, for these couple days it shows I downloaded everything...550 meg at that time one morning, and then 360 meg at that time the next day.   My carrier is asking for $980 for that usage and claims that I would have had to have requested the usage.

I'm wondering if anyone else has found this connection between the usage and the email they recieved?

Highlighted
My Device: Blackberry Bold 9900

This is probably a bit late but just in case somebody else has a problem like it I thought I would post a note.

I was roaming in the States on the AT&T network and on the day my US Data plan expired got a 65 MB data charge which would have cost $150.00.  I noticed it very quickly as I was checking to see when the plan expired and phoned Bell customer service right away.

After speaking to 3 different reps, each one at a higher level, I convinced them there was no way I was downloading data at 12:00 AM when my phone turns off at 10:00 PM every night.  They cancelled the charges.

So, the moral of the story is:

1) Be firm.

2) Be factual.

3) Be prompt.

4) Have your usage list in front of you.

It usually works

Mike.

Mike
My Device: Blackberry Z10

I am having the same problem. Your daughter has 500mb, which is a lot, but if she has lot's of Apps, it about that much data. Well, my husband and I share 4G between us, which is a LOT. I don't have a single app on my phone, not even FB. He has FB, only. I get charged over $100 above data (claiming we use 6Gs) almost each month - even months where i was employed in a zone that is out of service during work hours. The charges are from RIM data. Here's two puzzling things:

(1) it charges at random throughout the month; which is inaccurate with how "overages" would behave. It would be @ no charge until our supposed Gs are up, and be subsequently charged from there. Right?

(2) My husband and I have gotten into the habit of a responsible phone usuage as we try to figure out where the charges come from - ex. deleting cookies, cache, history; closing all browser windows; watch maybe 0-4 1m vids a month; tune into wifi at home (and work for me); no apps; close applications through the app manager sometimes; etc etc etc. Things the average phone user does not do. But their charges are often less then mine.

So where does it come from? Because there is no WAY that we use that much data. I suggest get a prepaid (as we will likely do)

My Device: Blackberry Z10

I'm sorry but I beg to differ. I have spent countless hours, literaly in the mid double digits, of my free time, that I don't get paid for ,talking with them to sort this out. I have had over 2000 dollars returned to me this year alone, for the overages on my bills. Sometimes patience works, sometimes it doesn't. It depends on the person you have been speaking with, and how long and frusterating those conversations can get.