Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve
My Carrier: Rogers/Bell
Accepted Solution

Problem with Large Data Usage on My Bell Bill

Hi,

For Christmas I purchased a Torch for my daughter.

We are with Bell and the plan has unlimited picture Texting and 500 mb data.

This is her first BB and to be sure I was monitoring the usage on the mybell website.

I have her the phone on Dec 25th.  Between Dec 27 and Jan 1st, she somehow managed to use 3.5 Gs.

The usage reads as follows:

DateTimeDetailsUsage TypeDurationVolumeUOM
Dec-277:00:08RIM DataRIM Data959:46*3.5518Megabyte
Dec-279:29:59Mobile BrowserMobile Browser05:04*0.0146Megabyte
Dec-2713:35:20Mobile BrowserMobile Browser00:09*0.0059Megabyte
Dec-2723:00:07RIM DataRIM Data67:53*0.3018Megabyte
Dec-2810:37:31RIM DataRIM Data201:00*0.8135Megabyte
Dec-2816:09:52RIM DataRIM Data365:29*2.1797Megabyte
Dec-297:00:12RIM DataRIM Data431:57*1.5693Megabyte
Dec-2910:38:02Mobile BrowserMobile Browser05:03*0.0146Megabyte
Dec-2918:21:57RIM DataRIM Data211:47*1.0254Megabyte
Dec-307:00:07RIM DataRIM Data814:44*683.2363Megabyte
Dec-3010:39:02Mobile BrowserMobile Browser05:04*0.0146Megabyte
Dec-3114:14:31RIM DataRIM Data525:34*1841.0283Megabyte
Jan-010:08:44RIM DataRIM Data00:40*0.0244Megabyte
Jan-017:00:10RIM DataRIM Data310:35*980.6035Megabyte
Jan-0414:36:42RIM DataRIM Data01:37*2.4277Megabyte
     Total3516.8114Megabyte

She is using applications like email (15 emails/day), facebook, bbm, msn messenger, and a ton of texting.

The texting should be unlimited.  Three pictures were sent all in one day through texting, but that should be free too.

She did go on the browser 2 days and logged into facebook that way rather than the BB app.

We did not use the phone to tether, using it as a modem on a computer.

I don't understand how this could have happened.

Does anyone have any ideas? my goal is to figure out what application on the phone did this and stop it.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with 3 different Bell reps, one rep didn't understand the severity of my call, the other two were shocked but couldn't help me. One was an IT rep.

By the way, since the billing cyle ends on the 26, i've turned the data feature off!

Any help would be appreciated.

Sincerely, Amy

Regular Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: Problem with Large Data Usage on My Bell Bill

Firstly does your daughter when at home have the phone linked your home Wifi?

If not then she should. The phone will always use that if available to send data.

What's prob happened is that she has been using normal 3g data for bbm, downloading apps, listening to music online (a major data hungry hobby) and its all just mounted up.

To stop this happening again, either upgrade to a unlimited data plan or when at home use make sure the phone is using the home wifi and when out and about, don't use streaming media sources like nobex or tunein.

Hope this helps
If i help solve your problem, Click that button to the right of the screen.

Thank you very much.

Rob
New Contributor

My daughter assures me she has not been watching videos or listening to music online, it must be something else.

I now have the wifi setup for home.

What is the difference between RIM DATA and MOBILE BROSWER.  It appears that it's the RIM data that is chewing up all the data.

Could it be a setting on the phone, redirecting, etc...

Does anyone know how accurate the time stamps are on the bill?

Regular Contributor

The time stamps should be very up 2 date because its a billing thing that u could argue if its incorrect.

Has she been sent videos or music files via bbm or via email?

That's the only thing I can think of.

Shouldn't be any difference between rim data and mobile data. (Someone may correct me)

Thank you very much.

Rob
New Contributor

Hi Rob,

I appreciate your help.

My daughter did send 3 pictures through text.  We have unlimited text, picture and video messaging.

If you look at the time stamps, 2 of the largest downloads occured at 7:00 a.m.  Not because we were using the phone, but because it automatically turns on at that time.

This could be indicative of a program that is auto updating, just don't know what.

Does anyone know if it's possible to pull statistics from the blackberry phone to see what applications were used at what date and time or the data usage on an application?

The sad thing here is that even if the billing is incorrect, i have no way of proving it.  Yet i'm stuck paying the bill for 3Gs overusage.

Regular Contributor

It does seem to be using a lot of data when it auto turns on esp on 30 dec and 1st.

To prevent this issue - can u not change plan for an unlimited data usage plan?

I don't know if anyone else reading this has any ideas ?

Thank you very much.

Rob
Solutions: 6,422
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

On a BlackBerry, the data used via pictures and videos sent via SMS/MMS is acutally taken from the RIM data package, not part of the unlimited texting. The text message is part of the SMS, but not the data attached.

If she is connected to WiFi now, all that data will be travelling over the WiFi, not as RIM data.

Other RIM data usage includes any of the BlackBerry developed apps like Facebook for Blackberry, Twitter for BlackBerry, BlackBerry Maps, BBMessenger, and data used to download from AppWorld.

Some other third party apps like Pandora radio or Youtube can use RIM data (which is often referred to as the "BIS data".

Wow, that is a lot of data, though, especially on those two or three dates.

If she can use most of her data time while connected to WiFi, she should be safe. But honestly, looking at that bill, it's not telling what Bell is charging data for.

There was a product at one time called MiniMon, that installed on the device would help you track your data usage, but I don't know if it broke the data usage down as to where it comes from. You should trial it and see.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

My plan actually says "unlimited text, picture and video messaging".

Though your point is a good one.  Next to this phrase is a number (5) when i look at the fine print it says:

(5) Sent messages include domestic text messages and exclude international, roaming, alerts, premium text messages and messages sent with an instant messaging application. Roaming messages include international GSM, CDMA and U.S. CDMA messages. Received messages include domestic, international, roaming and service-related messages from Bell and exclude premium, alerts or dial-up messages. Out of bundle charges may apply. Data usage charges will apply for select CDMA smartphones to send and receive picture and video messages.

I don't know if the TORCH is a CDMA device?

If it is then you are absolutely right.

If  not, perhaps my plan isn't setup correctly by the carrier, I don't know.

Solutions: 6,422
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Nope, the Torch is a GSM device, not CDMA.

But, I'm telling you, I am 90% betting that your data files (picture or video) attached to an SMS text message, on a BlackBerry is travelling over the BIS data network.

...regardless of what that fine print says.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Q10, Z10 and 64GB PlayBook
My Carrier: Bell Mobility

@AmyGatto:  2 things: 

1. 1st, talk nicely to the people at Bell and they're likely to waive the fees for the overage, particularly as you caught this before your billing cycle ended *and* you're a new customer.
  2. I uses an application called "Network Traffic Control".  It's a free app, and it keeps track of your radio (ie: cellular) traffic in/out as well as WiFi traffic in/out.  You can set it up to keep track of your usage relative to the cap for your data plan and notify you when you're getting close to your maximum.  You can access it through BlackBerry App World.

The amount of data usage is perplexing and unless you have an application such as the one I mentioned in point "2", you're not going to really know how much you're using.  You'll have to rely on Bell's accounting.  The other possibility is that their accounting records are in error.  I think that's more likely in this case.

/Eric